Category Archives: FAQs

How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration:

Change my major or add a major/minor and/or concentration: Meet with your new advisor. Advisors for each major and minor are listed online.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your proposed major/minor and/or concentration from the department offering the curriculum. See Degree Audits / Minor Audits and/or go to the department website for flowcharts. Find out requirements for declaring your new major regarding GPA, probation status, etc.
  2. Some credits you’ve taken may be applied toward your new curriculum – see the new advisor to confirm your progress towards the new requirements and get any information on possible substitutions.
  3. The new curriculum advisor will handle all course enrollment issues and will register students and/or process waivers as appropriate.
  4. Use this link to see the process to request a change to your major, add/drop a major, add/drop a minor and/or add/drop a concentration. Major add or change requests must be made by 5:00 pm on Wednesday of Week 2 to be effective that semester. Requests made after Wednesday of Week 2 will be effective the following semester.  You may need registration waivers for the following semester if your request is after this date. Minor or concentration add or change requests will become effective the current semester, regardless of when submitted.  Curriculum drops become effective immediately in the current semester. If you are interested in getting a dual degree you should first express your interest to the additional major’s advisor.  For Mechanical Engineering, adding a major is almost never a double major.  You should request to add a dual degree.
  5. All add or change requests require advisor approval. Please feel free to contact the advisor of the major/minor/concentration you are adding PRIOR TO using the request system.
  6. A minor requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of course work, but the actual number required varies by specific curricula. Of the minimum 18 credits required, at least 9 credits of the 3000-level or higher courses must be taken at Michigan Tech (not transfer credits). Students interested in adding a minor to their degree program must consult an academic advisor for their major as well as the minor advisor. It is a good idea to provide a copy of the minor audit, showing the planned completion of that curriculum, to the major advisor. The major advisor can help identify courses that double count and any additional credits that may be necessary.
  7. Declared minors must be completed in order to award the degree associated with a minor. An incomplete minor will delay the awarding of the degree and processing of the diploma (i.e. a degree and associated minor(s) must be completed concurrently). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for courses completed as part of the minor must be earned in order to award the minor. Minors may be dropped by students to allow the graduation process to proceed and credits may not be shared between multiple minors.
  8. You must declare a minor to receive it, even if all the courses are already completed. The minor must be declared prior to graduation.
  9. Enterprise students must declare the Enterprise Concentration through this process.  If you need to drop this concentration, that must be done through the Registrar’s Office.  Concentrations cannot be dropped online.
  10. Dropping a double major, dual degree, minor or concentration does not require advisor approval
  11. Credits may count towards both your major and minor. Some minor courses are also ME technical electives and some minor courses are HASS General Education distribution courses, depnding on which minor is being considered. Some minor courses may even be specific requirements for your major as well as the minor.
  12. Minors have no minimum additional credit requirements. However, you may need to plan for extra credits if pursuing a minor outside of the ME-EM Dept (e.g. electrical engineering).
  13. Credits may not be shared between 2 minors.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I register on BanWeb and what if I need a waiver?
  2. Joining an Enterprise
  3. When and how can I add/drop classes?  What is a ‘W’ grade?
  4. How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration.
  5. Transferring credits from elsewhere
  6. Repeating a Course
  7. Academic Probation & Suspension
  8. Feeling stressed. What can I do?
  9. Contacts for Filled Sections – By Department
  10. ME versus MET
  11. Study Abroad
  12. ROTC Academic Plans (AF Form 48, AR Form 104R)
  13. Co-op credits
  14. Thinking of graduate school?
  15. Looking for Undergraduate Research?
  16. Am I ready to take Senior Capstone Design (SCD – MEEM4901/4911) or Enterprise Senior Design (ENT4950/60)? How are projects defined through the ME-EM department?
  17. Preparing for Graduation & DARS FAQs
  18. Should I take the FE Exam?  When?  How?

Am I ready to take Senior Capstone Design (SCD – MEEM4901/4911) or Enterprise Senior Design (ENT4950/60)? How are projects defined through the ME-EM department?

To register for MEEM 4901 (SCD 1) or ENT 4950 (Enterprise Senior Design 1) for the BSME or BSME-Enterprise Concentration, students must meet the senior design prerequisites and, in the case of ENT 4950, have the project defined and approved.

ME-EM SCD is comprised of MEEM 4901 and MEEM 4911 which must be completed in consecutive semesters. MEEM 4901 is offered in the fall and spring semesters, so the sequence can be competed either fall-spring or spring-fall.

Enterprise Senior Design is comprised of ENT 4950 and ENT 4960 which should also be completed in consecutive semesters. ENT 4950 may be started in the fall or the spring semester.  Summer semester starts or finishes for an enterprise student are up to the enterprise team advisor.  BSME-Enterprise Concentration students must declare the Enterprise Concentration (EMEE) with an ME Academic Advisor.

Senior design readiness (senior design pre-reqs)

The following prerequisites must be met prior to a student registering for MEEM 4901 or ENT 4950. Courses denoted with a (C) are concurrent prerequisites and may be taken before or with MEEM 4901/ENT 4950.

For students on the 2013-14 or earlier BSME curricula (gold or orange flowchart), the prerequisites for MEEM 4901 are:

  • MEEM 3900
  • MEEM 3000 (C)
  • MEEM 3502 (C)

For students on the 2014-15 BSME or later curricula (yellow, green or purple flowchart), the prerequisites for MEEM 4901 are:

  • MEEM 3911
  • MEEM 3201 (C)
  • MEEM 3750 (C)
  • MA 3710 (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)

For students on the 2013-14 or earlier BSME-Enterprise curricula (blue or gray flowchart), the prerequisites for ENT 4950 are:

  • ENT 3950 (same team)
  • ENT 3960 (same team)
  • MEEM 3900
  • MEEM 3000 (C)
  • MEEM 3502 (C)
  • Good academic standing is required for some teams (i.e., not on academic probation)

For students using the 2014-15 or later BSME-Enterprise curriculum (tan or pink flowchart), the prerequisites for ENT 4950 are:

  • ENT 3950 (same team)
  • ENT 3960(same team)
  • MEEM 3911
  • MEEM 3201 (C)
  • MEEM 3750 (C)
  • MA 3710 (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)
  • Good academic standing is required for some teams (i.e., not on academic probation)

SCD – MEEM 4901 project assignment process

  • Students that meet the required prerequisites may register for MEEM 4901 during the initial registration period.
  • There are no requirements to complete work for MEEM 4901 before classes commence.
  • Students should have an updated resume ready to submit during the first day of class.
  • Students will be presented with the available projects and will give their primary and alternate preferences.
  • Teams will be assigned based on student interest and appropriate skill sets, based on the student resumes.  This is similar to a hiring process for each team.

Enterprise -ENT 4950 project assignment process

  • See FAQ #2 or click here for the required Project Verification form and instructions on the approval and enrollment process for ENT 4950.
  • Project briefs attached to the approval form must follow the template.
  • ME students may not be registered in ENT 4950 until their project definition is approved by the ME-EM department regardless of the Enterprise team or the department that houses the team.
  • There is a hard deadline of Friday of third week to be registered in ENT 4950. Project submission/registration before the beginning of the semester is ideal, but this may be delayed until the third week if required.
  • If enrollment in ENT 4950 is needed for full-time status (12 credits), this status is established on Wednesday of the second week of the semester.  Students in this situation should have their Project Verification form submitted to an ME Academic Advisor no later than the end of the first week of the semester.

For MEEM 4911 (SCD 2) or ENT 4960 (Enterprise Senior Design 2) for the BSME or BSME-Enterprise Concentration, students must meet the senior design prerequisites (MEEM 3201 and MEEM 3750 non-concurrent for the second semester) and, in the case of ENT 4960, have the project defined and approved. Project approval for ENT 4960 is typically done as part of the project submission for ENT 4950, but can also be a separate submission if necessary.

For students on the 2014-15 or later BSME curricula (yellow, green or purple flowchart), the prerequisites for MEEM 4911 are:

  • MEEM 4901
  • MEEM 3201 (non-concurrent)
  • MEEM 3750 (non-concurrent)
  • MA 3710

For students using the 2014-15 or later BSME-Enterprise curriculum (tan or pink flowchart), the prerequisites for ENT 4960 are:

  • ENT 3950 (same team)
  • ENT 3960(same team)
  • MEEM 3911
  • MEEM 3201 (non-concurrent)
  • MEEM 3750 (non-concurrent)
  • MA 3710 (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)
  • Good academic standing is required for some teams (i.e., not on academic probation)

Other possible capstone design options:

  • College of Engineering departments:  Any 2-semester Senior Capstone Design course sequence (4 total credits or more) in another College of Engineering department can be substituted for ME-EM 4901/4911 (e.g., BE 4901/4910, EE 4901/4910, and MY 4920/4930). MEEM 4901 prerequisites must be met before registering for SCD in another department if your primary major is ME.
  • International Senior Design (I-Design) projects are offered through the Civil and Environmental Engineering department in a summer-fall sequence. These projects could be substituted for MEEM 4901/4911; however, the project content requires pre-approval by the ME-EM Department. See an ME Academic Advisor for details after getting information on I-Design for the upcoming summer.
  • European Project Semester (EPS) is a study abroad program that could be substituted for MEEM 4901/4911, but also requires approval by the ME-EM Department. Contact the International Programs and Services Office for the availability of EPS experiences and credit breakdowns.  Then see an ME Academic Advisor to submit credit and project details for ME-EM department review and/or approval.  Project approval is required prior to study abroad departure when possible. See FAQ #11 for further information.

Co-op Credits

If you have accepted an offer to go on co-op for a fall or spring semester, you should definitely follow the below steps to get that set up with the university.  Relevant summer jobs are typically internships (no credits enrolled for the job experience) and relevant fall or spring jobs often are co-op employment (enrolled in UN3002, UN3003, etc co-op credits for job assignment), however a student may decide to take credits in the summer and not take credits in fall/spring.

  • First, until you have a 100% accepted and confirmed offer agreed to, you should maintain any course registration you have for the semester in question.  Likewise, don’t skip registration for a semester unless your job is confirmed already.
  • Once you are accepting employment, consult with Financial Aid and your health insurance carrier to determine if you need to maintain part-time student status, full-time student status, or if no student status is acceptable for you during the semester you will be away from campus.
    • 2 credits of co-op is considered full-time status (equivalent to 12 or more credits on campus).
    • 1 credit of co-op is considered part-time (half-time) status (equivalent to 6 or more, but less than 12 credits on campus).
    • 1 credit of co-op, plus any other registered Michigan Tech credit (online course or on campus) is considered full-time status.  Please see an academic advisor if you are considering an online course so we can discuss options.
  • Once you know what you need to do for co-op credits see Career Services (2nd floor Admin Bldg) to drop any course registration and add applicable credits. Part of this process includes meeting with an academic advisor to go over current progress through the curriculum, discuss transfer coursework while on co-op, registration for return semester, etc.
  • If you are choosing not to take any co-op credits, instead of going to Career Services, go to the Student Service Center (Registrar’s Office, 1st floor Admin) to withdraw for the upcoming semester. Make sure you are activated for the next semester’s registration by completing the Undergraduate Application for Readmissions.
  • For the BSME, co-op credits are usable as free electives only.
  • For the BSME-Enterprise, coop credits are usable as free electives or up to 2 credits of enterprise modules.
  • Co-op credits are graded based on a technical report and supervisor/student evaluations that are submitted by the student during and after the job assignment.  Reports are submitted to Career Services and that office determines due dates, grades, etc.
  • If you plan to try and complete any transfer coursework while you are working your job assignment, please reference FAQ #5 on the ME Undergraduate Advising web page for the transfer process, and consult with an ME academic advisor regarding course options to progress towards your BSME completion.

How do I register on BanWeb and what if I need a waiver?

Please use this link for registration FAQs and a video tutorial regarding online registration through BanWeb.

If you get a registration error, please pay attention to the specific error that comes up and you may be able to troubleshoot the problem.  Check the course prerequisites/restrictions and the course descriptions listing by clicking on the section CRN in BanWeb.  If you think you need a waiver to override an error, please see below.

Some common registration errors are:


Waiver forms are available from the Registrar’s Office website.

Types of waivers:

  • Filled sections: Get approval from department offering the course.  See FAQ #9 for listing of correct contact person(s) by department.  May or may not require a signed form.
  • Lacking prerequisite: Get approval from MEEM course coordinator – see an academic advisor to identify the right faculty member – or the department offering the course. Prerequisites are not generally waived for required MEEM courses.
  • Instructor permission: Most commonly required to enroll in enterprise project courses.  For enterprise, may use internal ME form through the end of 1st week of the semester.  Otherwise special approval or late-add form (if after 1st week) is used.  See an advisor for these forms.
  • Special Approval/Restriction waivers: Use Approval/Waiver Form for instructor permission to waive class, level, or other restrictions where appropriate.
  • Credit overload permission form: Approval signature from your academic advisor.  Approval from the Dean of Students office is necessary if on academic probation.
  • Time conflict: Approval from all instructors involved is required.  Use the combined Approval/Waiver Form.
  • Grading Changes: Used if student wishes to change the course to an audit or pass-fail.

To obtain approvals:

  1. Print a waiver form or pick the correct form up from the ME Advising Center (some forms are available outside the offices).
  2. Fully complete your form and get required signatures.
  3. Bring completed, signed waivers to:
    • The Registrar’s Office – First floor Administration Building
    • or ME Advising Center (for MEEM or enterprise related forms)

Enterprise: Instructor approval required for many enterprise teams, every semester. Bring the enrollment form to the enterprise faculty advisor for their signature. Return signed form to ME Advising Center (204/205 MEEM) by the end of 1st week.  Late Add procedures are in effect after 1st week.  For ENT 4950 the typical instructor permission form is not used.  See FAQ #2 or here for ENT 4950 enrollment instructions.

Late Adds: After 1st week of the semester, any added courses or section changes are late adds.  See an academic advisor to determine if a late add is appropriate and to get a late add form.  MEEM course control/waiting list policies are still in effect for late-adds or section changes of MEEM courses.

Getting ready for graduate school at Michigan Tech

If you are considering continuing with an advanced degree at Michigan Tech after graduation, the first step is applying through the Graduate School.  The admissions staff there can answer questions regarding the application process, requirements, and special programs.  You may apply to graduate school when you have junior class standing (60 earned credit hours).

  • The ME-EM department does offer an accelerated Master’s program which allows students to count up to 6 acceptable credits towards both the BS and MS degrees (double-counting).  Student must have a 3.25 cumulative GPA to qualify and declare their interest in this program when applying to grad school. The application to the accelerated masters program must be submitted prior to undergraduate graduation.  Inquire with the graduate school about which undergraduate credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree.  Students may only pursue the accelerated BS/MS if they remain enrolled at Michigan Tech.  A student may not have a gap between graduation with the BS and commencement of the MS degree (a break over summer is fine however).  Students may be able to take advantage of the accelerated masters program even if both degrees are not in the same department (e.g. a BSME student might pursue an MS in biomedical engineering or an MBA). Direct inquires about programs and which credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree to the Graduate School.
  • Students who have room in their schedules for extra courses in their last 1 or 2 semesters of undergraduate work may also consider applying extra credits towards an advanced degree via the Senior Rule.  These credits must be surplus to bachelor’s degree/minor requirements and will be placed onto a separate, graduate-level transcript.  These credits will then only count towards the advanced degree (not double counted with the BS).  Inquire with the graduate school about which credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree and work with an undergraduate academic advisor to ensure the credits are not necessary for completion of the BSME.  Also, students should consult with Financial Aid if the placement of credits into the graduate level via senior rule will drive their undergraduate credits below 12 total for any semester.  Less than 12 undergraduate credits in a semester, even if it is your last undergraduate semester before graduation, can cause a loss of financial aid in some situations.

If you are thinking of graduate school/post-graduate education at another institution, you must contact that other school to get details on how to apply, required admissions testing (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc), program requirements, accelerated programs, use of senior rule credits, etc.