Author: ratowles

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I register on BanWeb and what if I think I need a waiver?
  2. Joining an Enterprise
  3. When and how can I add/drop classes?  What is a ‘W’ grade?
  4. How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration.
  5. Transferring credits from elsewhere
  6. Repeating a Course
  7. Academic Probation & Suspension
  8. I am feeling stressed. What can I do? (And Study Tips)
  9. Contacts for Filled Sections – By Department
  10. ME versus MET
  11. Study Abroad
  12. ROTC Academic Plans (AF Form 48, AR Form 104R)
  13. Co-op credits
  14. What if I have less than 12 credits for my last semester?
  15. Thinking of graduate school?
  16. Looking for Undergraduate Research?
  17. Am I ready to take Senior Capstone Design (MEEM4901/4911 or ENT4950/60)? How are MEEM 4901/4911 projects defined?
  18. Preparing for Graduation & DARS FAQs
  19. Should I take the FE Exam?  When?  How?


Advising Reminders

  • Complete online graduation application during your second to last semester prior to graduation through MyMichiganTech or BanWeb.  Fall grads should submit in January.  Spring/summer grads in September.
  • Graduating next semester? Contact an ME academic advisor to start the process of finalizing your online degree audit.  See FAQ #18 below and watch your email if you are in your last or second to last semester.

Fall 2021 Waiting Lists for MEEM Courses

Click on a course below to access a Google Form to create a waiting list entry for a full MEEM course/section for the Fall 2021 semester.

































Graduate Students – Pre-requisite waiver request forms:



Part-Time Student Status for the Final Undergraduate Semester

If you plan to take less than 12 credits in the semester in which you will graduate, you should consult with Financial Aid about being a part-time student in that final semester. Generally speaking, most student need to be full-time status (12+ credits) each semester while pursuing an undergraduate degree. There are certainly exceptions to that statement though. For most students, if it is your last semester, part-time status is OK, but you may need to have at least half-time status (6-11.5 credits) to receive aid, be eligible for loans, etc. Financial Aid can answer your questions on this in regard to your individual specifics.

Also, students should consult with Financial Aid if the placement of credits into the graduate level via senior rule will drive their undergraduate credits below 12.

Am I ready to take Senior Capstone Design (SCD, MEEM4901/4911 or ENT4950/60)? How are MEEM 4901/4911 projects defined?

To register for capstone project credits – MEEM 4901 (SCD 1) or ENT 4950 (Enterprise Senior Design 1) – for the BSME or BSME-Enterprise Concentration, students must meet the senior design prerequisites and, in the case of ENT 4950, have the project defined and approved.

ME-EM SCD is comprised of MEEM 4901 and MEEM 4911 which must be completed in consecutive semesters. MEEM 4901 is offered in the fall and spring semesters, so the sequence can be competed either fall-spring or spring-fall.

Enterprise Senior Design is comprised of ENT 4950 and ENT 4960 which should also be completed in consecutive semesters. ENT 4950 may be started in the fall or the spring semester.  Summer semester starts (4950) or finishes (4960) for an enterprise student are up to the enterprise team advisor.  BSME-Enterprise Concentration students must update their major to declare the Enterprise Concentration (EMEE) online.

Senior design readiness (senior design pre-reqs)

The following prerequisites must be met prior to a student registering for MEEM 4901 or ENT 4950. Courses denoted with a (C) are concurrent prerequisites and may be taken before or with MEEM 4901/ENT 4950.

For students on the 2014-15 BSME or later curricula (yellow, green, gold, or purple flowchart), the prerequisites for MEEM 4901 are:

  • MEEM 3911
  • MEEM 3201 (C)
  • MEEM 3750 (C)
  • MA 3710 (C) (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)

For students using the 2014-15 or later BSME-Enterprise curriculum (tan, pink, or blue flowchart), the prerequisites for ENT 4950 are:

  • ENT 3950 (same team)
  • ENT 3960 (same team)
  • MEEM 3911
  • MEEM 3201 (C)
  • MEEM 3750 (C)
  • MA 3710 (C) (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)
  • Good academic standing is required for some teams (i.e., not on academic probation)

SCD – MEEM 4901 project assignment process

  • Students that meet the required prerequisites may register for MEEM 4901 during the initial registration period.
  • There are no requirements to complete work for MEEM 4901 before classes commence.
  • Students should have an updated resume ready to submit during the first day of class.
  • Students will be presented with the available projects and will give their primary and alternate preferences.
  • Teams will be assigned based on student interest and appropriate skill sets, based on the student resumes.  This is similar to a hiring process for each team.

Enterprise -ENT 4950 project submission process

  • See FAQ #2 or click here for the required project verification form and instructions (page 2) on the approval and enrollment process for ENT 4950.
  • Project briefs attached to the approval form must follow the template.
  • Teams with multiple ME students should submit one brief with each individual’s form on top.  In other words, if there are 3 ME students on a team, there should be 3 forms on top of the brief in one packet turned into the academic advising office after being signed off by the enterprise advisor.
  • ME students may not be registered in ENT 4950 until their project definition is approved by the ME-EM department regardless of the Enterprise team or the department that houses the team.
  • There is a hard deadline for ME students of Friday of third week to submit their project in order to be registered in ENT 4950.  The project does not have to be approved by this deadline, but the submission with enterprise advisor approval must be received.  Project submission/registration before the beginning of the semester is ideal, but this may be delayed until the third week if required.
  • If enrollment in ENT 4950 is needed for full-time status (12 credits), this status is established on Wednesday of the second week of the semester.  Students in this situation should have their project verification form submitted to an ME academic advisor – with enterprise advisor approval already done – no later than the end of the first week of the semester.

For MEEM 4911 (SCD 2) or ENT 4960 (Enterprise Senior Design 2) for the BSME or BSME-Enterprise Concentration, students must meet the senior design prerequisites (MEEM 3201 and MEEM 3750 are non-concurrent pre-reqs, must be passed to progress to the second semester) and, in the case of ENT 4960, have the project defined and approved. Project approval for ENT 4960 is typically done as part of the project submission for ENT 4950, but can also be a separate submission if necessary.

For students on the 2014-15 or later BSME curricula (yellow, green, gold, or purple flowchart), the prerequisites for MEEM 4911 are:

  • MEEM 4901
  • MEEM 3201 (non-concurrent)
  • MEEM 3750 (non-concurrent)
  • MA 3710 (C) (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)

For students using the 2014-15 or later BSME-Enterprise curriculum (tan, pink, or blue flowchart), the prerequisites for ENT 4960 are:

  • ENT 4950 (same team)
  • MEEM 3201 (non-concurrent)
  • MEEM 3750 (non-concurrent)
  • MA 3710 (C) (MA 2710 or MA 2720 are OK also)
  • Good academic standing is required for some teams (i.e., not on academic probation)

Other possible capstone design options:

  • College of Engineering departments:  Any 2-semester Senior Capstone Design course sequence (4 total credits or more) in another College of Engineering department can be substituted for ME-EM 4901/4911 (e.g., BE 4901/4910, EE 4901/4910, and MSE 4130/4140). MEEM 4901 prerequisites must be met before registering for SCD in another department if your primary major is ME.
  • International Senior Design (iDesign) projects are offered through the Civil and Environmental Engineering department in a summer-fall sequence. These projects (CEE 4915/4916) could be substituted for MEEM 4901/4911; however, the project content requires pre-approval by the ME-EM Department. See an ME Academic Advisor for details after getting information on iDesign for the upcoming summer.  Project submission should follow the enterprise template above.
  • European Project Semester (EPS) is a study abroad program that could be substituted for MEEM 4901/4911, but also requires approval of the project content by the ME-EM Department. Contact the International Programs and Services Office for the availability of EPS experiences and credit breakdowns.  Then see an ME Academic Advisor to submit credit and project details for ME-EM department review and/or approval.  Project approval is required prior to study abroad departure when possible. See FAQ #11 for further information. Project submission should follow the enterprise template above.

Getting ready for graduate school at Michigan Tech

If you are considering continuing with an advanced degree at Michigan Tech after graduation, the first step is applying through the Graduate School.  The admissions staff there can answer questions regarding the application process, requirements, and special programs.  You may apply to graduate school when you have junior class standing (60 earned credit hours).

  • The ME-EM department does offer an accelerated Master’s program which allows Michigan Tech undergraduate students to count up to 6 acceptable credits towards both the BS and MS degrees (double-counting).  Student must have a 3.00 minimum cumulative GPA to qualify and declare their interest in this program when applying to grad school. The application to the accelerated masters program must be submitted prior to undergraduate graduation.  Inquire with the graduate school about which undergraduate credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree.  Students may only pursue the accelerated BS/MS if they remain enrolled at Michigan Tech.  A student may not have a gap between graduation with the BS and starting the MS degree (a break over summer is fine however).  Students may be able to take advantage of the accelerated masters program even if both degrees are not in the same department (e.g. a BSME student might pursue an MS in biomedical engineering or an MBA). Inquires about programs and which credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree should be directed to the Graduate School.
  • Students who have room in their schedules for extra courses in their last 1 or 2 semesters of undergraduate work may also consider applying surplus undergraduate credits towards an advanced degree via the Senior Rule.  These credits must be surplus to bachelor’s degree/minor requirements and will be placed onto a separate, graduate-level transcript.  These credits will then only count towards the advanced degree (not double counted with the BS).  Inquire with the graduate school about which credits may be acceptable to use for the MS degree and work with an undergraduate academic advisor to ensure the credits are not necessary for completion of the BSME.  Also, students should consult with Financial Aid if the placement of credits into the graduate level via senior rule will drive their undergraduate credits below 12 total for any semester.  Less than 12 undergraduate credits in a semester, even if it is your last undergraduate semester before graduation, can cause a loss of financial aid in some situations.

If you are thinking of graduate school/post-graduate education at another institution, you must contact graduate admissions there to get details on how to apply, required testing (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc), program requirements, accelerated programs, use of senior rule credits, etc.

Repeating Courses

One of the easiest ways to improve your GPA is by repeating courses. If you have any grades that are less than ‘C’ (‘CD’, ‘D’, or ‘F’), you should repeat them as soon as possible (the next semester, summer, etc).
  • If you fail a required BSME course, you will have to repeat and pass the class to meet the degree requirement.
  • Even if it is an elective course that is not required specifically, a repeat of a poor grade is probably warranted as well.
  • All current Michigan Tech grades are included in GPA calculations regardless of course status as a degree required course or not.
  • Students may repeat a course no more than two times (3 total attempts allowed).  Sign-offs from your academic advisor, Financial Aid, the Dean of Students office are required to repeat a course a 2nd and final time (3rd attempt).  You may download the 3rd attempt form here.  This process is mostly a formal acknowledgement from the student that the 3rd attempt is the final attempt and a failing grade in a required course will necessitate a major change.  It is also in place to make sure the student is well-advised about how to best facilitate success in the final course attempt.
  • Students may only repeat courses with a grade of ‘CD’ or lower. Grades of ‘C’ or better are final.
  • The most recent grade is used in your GPA calculation even if it is lower than the previous grade (including failure after a previous passing grade, resulting in loss of credit).
  • Course attempts are repeats only if the exact same or equivalent course number is completed (example of equivalent course numbers: MA 1160 and MA 1161).
  • See an academic advisor if you believe you need a similar repeat (only applicable if a course is/was no longer offered after a poor grade in a course is earned, i.e. student did not have an opportunity to repeat).
  • You may transfer credit from another institution to replace a repeatable grade in a course as long as the requirements outlined in FAQ #5 are met. However, earned transfer credits are not included in any GPA calculations. Transfer repeats can impact your GPAs if the transfer replaces a previous grade of ‘CD’, ‘D’. or ‘F’.  Removal of poor grades from these calculations may cause GPAs to improve once transfer credits are entered. Please note once again, the repeatable grade is completely removed from the GPA calculation by the transfer, but the earned grade from the transferring institution will not be used to calculate Michigan Tech GPAs.  Transfer repeats only can remove prior poor grades if the transfer credit is evaluated equivalent to the exact same course number at Michigan Tech that was originally completed (or an equivalent course like the Calculus I example above).
  • Prerequisite courses must be passed in order to continue to next course.  In most cases is is not advisable to move ahead in a course sequence if you have not earned a ‘C’ or better in a pre-req course, even though you may have passed the course.
  • Concurrent pre-req courses may be taken at the same time.
  • Minimum GPAs are established that must be met in order to maintain good academic standing: University cumulative GPA ≥ 2.00 and cumulative departmental GPA ≥ 2.00 (MEEM courses, based on at least 16 credits) and current semester GPA ≥ 2.00.
  • The minimum ≥ 2.00 cumulative and departmental GPAs are also required for graduation
  • Repeating courses may impact financial aid. Please visit the Student Financial Services Center to discuss a specific situation.