Michigan Technological University
Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
Dr. Vinh Nguyen is seeking applications for 2 PhD students in automation for smart manufacturing. The students will receive full tuition coverage and stipend support. Students will be investigating technologies to facilitate human-automation systems in the context of Industry 4.0 and develop machine learning solutions to address real-world manufacturing problems. Students will have hands-on experience working on a variety of manufacturing processes including robotic assembly, machining, and additive manufacturing. Furthermore, students will also have the opportunity to work with advanced robotic tools including AR/VR and motion capture systems.
Dr. Nguyen is an Assistant Professor under the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University. Dr. Nguyen’s collaborators include industry, federal government agencies, and other academic universities.
- Master’s in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other related fields.
- Experience in programming industrial automation (industrial robots, embedded hardware, PLC’s, etc.) and familiarity with manufacturing processes including machining and additive manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience with wearables technologies, machine learning, and human-robot interaction is a plus but not required.
- Strong communication and technical writing skills for presentation of work to collaborators and sponsors.
Candidates should demonstrate at least one of the following strengths:
- Experience with robotics and controls
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Experience with machine learning models
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their CV (1–2 pages) to email@example.com.