Student-Athlete Rallies for the Win: Computer Science Grad Shares Secret to Her Success

Juggling academics and athletics, along with the challenges of being a woman in a field dominated by men, hasn’t always been easy for Leiya Rybicki.

But Rybicki’s wide support system and leadership skills helped her persevere. The Huskies Women’s Volleyball Team member earned her bachelor’s degree in computer science in spring 2024.

Michigan Tech — and athletic involvement — run in the family, whose hometown is Freeland, Michigan. Rybicki’s mom, Lori ’90, and her dad, Mike ’90, are Michigan Tech graduates. Her twin brothers, Ben and Joe, both 2020 graduates, played football for the Huskies while earning their undergraduate degrees in civil engineering. Her dad also earned his degree in civil engineering.

Rybicki says her mom, Lori, who earned her bachelor’s degree in computer science and played basketball for the Huskies, inspired her to choose the same major.

“My mom has always been my idol, well before I knew what she did for work,” she says. “As a woman in computing, she has been a stellar role model. Whenever I struggled with a class or a project, she understood because she most likely went through the same thing. She has such a positive attitude and always reassures me that I can do whatever I put my mind to.”

Initially, Rybicki intended to break her family’s pattern of attending Michigan Tech. She toured several other schools. But as soon as she stepped foot on the Tech campus for an official tour, she knew it was the only university where she could picture herself thriving and succeeding. “No other school had such a successful volleyball program, as well as an amazing computer science program,” she says.

Pursuing a STEM field currently dominated by men can be challenging for women in computing. Only 20 percent of those graduating with computer science degrees are women, and for the underrepresented feeling isolated and not taken seriously can lead to the erosion of self-confidence and make learning more difficult. Rybicki confronted some daunting situations.

“Nonetheless, I still showed up to class and always found confidence within myself instead of comparing myself to my classmates,” says Rybicki. “My leadership skills helped me stand up for myself, and I am grateful for my female friends because we could always talk things out and build each other up.”

The Life of a Student Athlete at Michigan Tech

Rybicki is used to having more than one thing on her plate. Throughout elementary and high school, she played on multiple sports teams, was active in student clubs, and spent many hours volunteering. But playing a college-level sport while studying computer science put this Husky’s time-management skills to the test. Between weightlifting, practicing, and traveling she missed a lot of classes and had little free time.

“During long bus rides and downtime on the road you could always find me programming, as coding and debugging take much longer than a typical homework assignment,” says Rybicki.

Volleyball has been an important source of support for Rybicki.

“Being on a team, you learn so many soft skills that can ultimately complement your technical skills,” she says. “Software development is also usually done on a team, so knowing how to work effectively with others is something that I pride myself on.”

“Volleyball has also brought me my best friends and role models, who have been by my side for four years,” she says. “They were great on the court and even better in the classroom and I learned so much from them. I’ll miss seeing them every day.”

Rybicki’s favorite thing about being on the volleyball team was being a part of something bigger than herself. She’s proud of the team’s reputation. “Game days have an electric feeling, with the Pep Band and our community coming to watch. It creates an environment you can’t replicate,” she says. “I have to thank Coach Jennings and Coach Pindral for offering me an opportunity to play the sport I love and study what I knew my heart desired.”

Rybicki says the most surprising thing about her four years at Tech was how fast the time passed. “I know that it’s cliché to say but the years really will pass you by. The days seem long but the years are short,” she says.

Unforgettable Experiences at MTU

Rybicki’s favorite Tech memory is exploring the Keweenaw Peninsula with her friends during her sophomore year. “Our volleyball team did a team-bonding scavenger hunt that had us explore the Keweenaw together,” she recalls.

“We started in Calumet for the Pasty Fest, visited places like Eagle Harbor and McLain State Park, and ended on the top of Mont Ripley. One of the amazing things about Michigan Tech is that it’s surrounded by nature. Being able to explore that with my friends was unforgettable,” she says.

In addition to academics and sports, Rybicki has been an active volunteer on campus. She got into volunteering at Tech by walking dogs at the Copper Country Humane Society, something she still does. She also helps at Tech’s volleyball camps for middle and high school students and coaches for the Keweenaw Volleyball Club.

“Volunteering is such a rewarding experience and I wish more people knew that,” says Rybicki. “I really enjoyed seeing the passion and joy in little girls’ faces when they got to play volleyball. There aren’t a lot of opportunities to play volleyball in the Keweenaw and I wanted to teach them anything I could.”

“I love coaching because of the little things, like when you give a girl a correction and she can see the difference it makes when she does it,” Rybicki says. “I think a lot of them look up to me and it’s another opportunity to set a good example and be a part of something bigger than myself.”

Rybicki was also part of the student-athlete Peer Prevention Team, a group that works to engage and educate students about topics like alcohol and drug use, mental health, and diversity and inclusion. An advocate for mental health awareness, Rybicki is proud to have served on a team that works to inform and support other student-athletes.

Rybicki is a member of the Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT), an organization dedicated to advancing women in technology. She received MCWT scholarships in each of her four years at Tech and last summer she had the opportunity to share her story as a woman in technology with a group of executive women in tech.

The connections Rybicki made through MCWT helped her land an internship with Ford Motor Company after her first year at Tech. Her job performance and continued success in the classroom led to two more internships at Ford in her sophomore and junior years.

“Each year during my internships I got to apply what I was learning in school and learn more about software development,” Rybicki says. “Most summers I was on a team of interns. In the beginning, we tended to ask our manager a lot of questions. I soon realized that taking the time to explore the problem for yourself first helps you learn and grow as a developer. Teamwork, communication, and an open mind also make things easier.”

“I never had a problem with the work environment or work-life balance at Ford, and I began to see myself working there full-time. I got involved in the Women of Ford employee resource group and became inspired, supported, and encouraged,” Rybicki says.

This summer, Rybicki starts a full-time position as a software engineer in Ford’s IT department.

“Never lose your sparkle,” Rybicki advises young girls entering a computing or technical field. “Be yourself and don’t be afraid to take up space. You belong there just as much as anyone else.”