If you are going to take classes elsewhere, make sure that the course(s) will transfer to Michigan Tech as the course(s) you need BEFORE you take the class.
1) Check for the course on the Transfer Equivalency System.
2) If the course you want is NOT on the Transfer Credit Equivalency list, you may request to have it evaluated by sending information to the Michigan Tech Transfer Services Office.
Transfer Services Coordinator
Required Information for Transfer Evaluation
- University or college name
- Course ID and title
- Course Catalog Description
Additional information may be required
- Syllabus including
- Textbook(s) used
- Detailed Description
- Course Outline
- a) Register for the course (for other Michigan colleges, use the Guest Application),
- b) Earn a grade of “C” or better (the grade will not transfer, but the credit will), and
- c) Have your official transcripts sent to Michigan Tech.
- Office of Student Records & Registration
- Admin Bldg 110
- 1400 Townsend Avenue
- Houghton, MI 49931-1295
4) Prereqs: If any course you plan to take off campus is a prerequisite for your next semester on campus, you will need to notify Transfer Services (Ms. Nancy Gagnon, email@example.com). She will then enter a prerequisite waiver to prevent any course scheduling issues.
5) Special Restrictions: Perspectives on Inquiry (UN1001) and World Cultures (UN1002) must be taken at Michigan Tech (unless you had AP or transfer credit before you came to Michigan Tech).
6) On-line courses may sound easier since you can approach the class in your own time. Though this is true for some classes, on-line classes also require self-motivation and a time commitment on your part. Before taking the class, check into the course requirements, including internet access, exam proctors, etc.
Michigan Tech – On-line FAQs
Michigan Community College Virtual Learning Collaborative – Always double check that the course transfers as your required course by contacting the Transfer Office.