Fulbright Opportunities

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study, conduct research or be an English teaching assistant abroad for one academic year. In addition, Critical Language Enhancement Awards are available to grantees for study of critical need foreign languages before or concurrently with their grant period. More than 1,500 Americans receive grants to study, research or teach abroad with either full or partial support from the Fulbright Program.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers three kinds of grants: study/research, English Teaching Assistantships (ETAs) and travel-only grants.

Applying: The application for all grants (except the Fulbright-mtvU Fellowship and the Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship) in academic year 2012-2013 is now closed.  The application cycle for 2013-2014 grants will open in spring 2012 with a due date in mid-October 2012.  All participants must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent by the start of their grant. Students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university must apply through the Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA) on campus, whose deadline may be earlier. Prospective applicants who are not enrolled students may apply at-large or though their alma mater’s FPA. Visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website for complete application, eligibility and program details.

Study/Research Grants

These fellowships offer up to one academic year of support for study and/or research in academic fields and the creative and performing arts. Applicants propose their own research and/or graduate study project and find their own host affiliation. Grants to study at specific universities are also available for some host countries.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships (ETA)

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in primary and secondary schools or universities overseas, thus improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student’s own language skills and knowledge of the host country. ETAs may also pursue individual study/research plans in addition to their teaching responsibilities.

Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships in Public Health

Offered in partnership with the Fogarty International Center of the U.S. National Institute of Health, Fulbright-Fogarty fellowships grant medical students and graduate students interested in global health the opportunity to conduct research in public health and clinical research in resource-limited settings.  Fellows spend nine months in one of twelve countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia or South America.  Applying: The application for awards that begin in the 2012-2013 academic year is now closed; the application cycle will open again in spring 2012 for 2013-2014 academic year grants. Applicants must be U.S. citizens and may apply only to one country; applicants for Fulbright-Fogarty fellowships should apply to the general Fulbright Student program in the field of Public Health. Visit the Fulbright-Fogarty webpage for complete application, eligibility and program details.

Travel-Only Grants

Grants for international travel are available to Germany, Hungary and Italy to supplement other fellowships that do not include travel costs or to supplement a student’s own funds for study/research.

Fulbright-mtvU Fellowship

The Fulbright-mtvU Fellowship is a special opportunity for up to four U.S. students to pursue projects around an aspect of international contemporary or popular music as a cultural force for expression. Applying: The application cycle is open from December until March each year for grants in the following academic year; the application and selection are separate from those of the other Fulbright U.S. Student Program opportunities described above. Visit the Fulbright-mtvU Fellowship website for complete application, eligibility and program details.

Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship

The new Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship affords participants the opportunity to serve in professional placements in foreign government ministries or institutions and gain hands-on public sector experience while also carrying out an academic research/study project. The application for awards for the 2012-2013 academic year is now open; all application materials must be submitted by February 1, 2012.

Fulbright Canada Science, Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) Award

The Fulbright Canada STEM Award offers U.S. students support for three years of doctoral study at one of six leading Canadian research universities (McGill University, Université de Montéal, University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, and University of Waterloo) in both basic and applied fields of science, engineering and mathematics. Applying: The application for awards that begin in the 2012-2013 academic year is now closed; the application and selection are separate from those of the other programs described above. Visit the Fulbright Canada STEM Award website for complete application, eligibility and program details.

Application Advice

Fulbright U.S. Student Alumni Ambassador Program

Fulbright U.S. Student Alumni Ambassadors represent the program’s rich diversity and play a key role in increasing knowledge about Fulbright opportunities to prospective applicants. They provide testimonials about their Fulbright experiences at conferences and campus presentations and offer application tips in written articles, video and podcast interviews, Webinars, and at special events throughout the United States.

Meet the Fulbright U.S. Student Alumni Ambassadors

Fulbright U.S. Student Program Blog

U.S. Student Program applicants can read testimonials and application tips from current grantees and alumni on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program Blog.