The King-Chávez-Parks Future Faculty Fellowship Program Fall 2018 Recipient – Christa Meingast

Christa Meingast
Environmental Engineering

My current research at Michigan Technological University aims to determine mechanisms of pathogen inactivation in both clinical and wastewater applications. Pathogenic Christa Meingastinfections are prevalent throughout the world, and effective and sustainable public safety measures to prevent these diseases are desirable. During this past year, I have been researching the mechanisms of synergistic arginine enveloped viral inactivation in therapeutic protein manufacturing. This research will aid in producing a more effective way inactivate viruses in therapeutic protein manufacturing. Throughout my career as a PhD student in the field of environmental engineering, I have found a passion for teaching and communicating with people from diverse backgrounds.  After I graduate my PhD I want to obtain a career in post-secondary education to continue to spread scientific knowledge and an understanding of environmental sustainability.