View/Print .pdf Transfer Help instructions.
Transfer Credits: To take classes elsewhere and transfer them to MTU, use the MTU online Transfer Equivalency Link and the course schedules and catalogs from the other college. Choose courses that will transfer to an equivalent course at MTU that are required for your degree. (such as an appropriate HASS List course)
- To access list of courses already approved for transfer use the Michigan Tech Transfer Equivalency System.
- If the course you want or need is NOT on the Transfer Credit Equivalency list, request to have it evaluated for transfer credit by sending the following details to the MTU Transfer Services Office, for each course: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- University or college name
- Course ID and title
- Syllabus – REQUIRED
- Textbook(s) used (usually on the syllabus)
- Detailed Description (usually on the syllabus)
- If all this information is available online, you can send the link to email@example.com. A short catalog description is not enough information to evaluate for MTU credit. You must provide the course syllabus.
- Enroll in courses. Grades must be C or higher to be accepted at MTU. If the course(s) are prerequisites to classes you need to register for next semester, have a copy of your transcript from the transfer college sent to MTU, so that our system knows the courses you plan to transfer.
Prereq? If you are taking a class elsewhere that is a prereq for something you want to add to your next semester’s schedule, then contact Transfer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, to let them know about the course, so the course will be marked “In Session”. Then you can schedule courses it is a prereq for. Be sure to send your transcript as soon as the prerequisite course is completed.
How to transfer credits to MTU after you complete course(s):
- Have an official copy of your transcript sent to MTU’s Registration Office
Office of Student Records & Registration
1400 Townsend Avenue Houghton, MI 49931-1295
To find out if a course may count as a “UN” course, consult the Transfer Services Office (Student Services, Admin bldg) before taking the course. phone: 487-3323, email: transfer@ mtu.edu
MTU’s General Education HASS Requirements ~ 6 credits HASS must be numbered 3000-4999. (upper level)
For generic transfer course numbers, ex. HU9300L and SS9300U: “L” in the 7th position indicates the course is Lower Level, and “U” indicates Upper Level.