To take classes elsewhere and transfer them to Michigan Tech, use Michigan Tech’s online Transfer Equivalency Link along with the course schedules and catalogs from the other college. Choose courses that will transfer to an equivalent course at Tech that are required for your degree (such as an appropriate HASS List course).
Remember: a grade of C or higher grade is required to transfer in a course!
- To access list of courses already approved for transfer use the Michigan Tech Transfer Equivalency System.
- If the course you want or need is not on the Transfer Credit Equivalency list, you may request to have it evaluated for transfer credit by sending the following details to the Transfer Services Office, for each course (email email@example.com):
- The other university or college name
- Course ID and title
- Syllabus – REQUIRED!
- Textbook(s) used (usually on the syllabus)
- Detailed Description (usually on the syllabus)
- If all this information is available online, you can send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org. A short catalog description is not enough information to evaluate for Michigan Tech credit; you must provide the course syllabus.
- Michigan students: complete a Guest Student Application and work with the Registrar’s office. You will need to check in with the other institution to see if anything else is required.
- Enroll in courses. If the course(s) are prerequisites to classes you need to register for next semester, have a copy of your transcript from the transfer college sent to Michigan Tech’s office of the Registrar so that our system knows the courses you plan to transfer.
Prerequisite? If a course you are taking elsewhere is a prereq for something you want to add to your next semester’s schedule, contact Transfer Services. They can mark a course as “in session” so that your registration can proceed as normal. You still must have an official copy of your transcript from the other institution sent to Michigan Tech as soon as the prereq course is complete!
To find out if a course may count as a “UN” course, consult the Transfer Services Office before taking the course.
Michigan Tech General Education HASS Requirements. Don’t forget: 6 credits of HASS must be numbered 3000-4999 (“upper level”).
After Completing the Course
Have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Michigan Tech Registrar’s Office:
Office of Student Records & Registration
1400 Townsend Avenue Houghton, MI 49931-1295
For generic transfer course numbers, ex. HU9300L and SS9300U: “L” in the 7th position indicates the course is Lower Level, and “U” indicates Upper Level. New in 2020: transfer courses come in with a new format that looks like HU1XXX, EC4XXX, or HU3XX5.