Michigan Tech College of Business (COB) students have voted Ulrich (Ulli) Schmelzle, assistant professor of supply chain and operations management, as the 2022-23 COB Teacher of the Year.
Schmelzle leads classes in operations and supply chain management. He also developed and implemented the study abroad experience in Germany, which launched in 2022 and will take place again this summer.
“Ulli brings a formula that perfectly complements teaching in a technologically embedded business college: He has a STEM education, industry experience in a pioneering aerospace firm, and a passion for people. Anyone who has met Dr. Schmelzle has witnessed his infectious smile; our students are fortunate to learn from him,” says Dean Johnson, dean, Michigan Tech College of Business.
Here are some notes of praise students submitted for Schmelzle:
- “Amazing professor like many at Tech, but also a kind and understanding human.”
- “I really enjoy how he would bring in examples from his past experiences in the workforce, because he has lots of stories that tie directly into what we learn about in class.”
- “Really cares about students and makes sure you are engaged during class.”
- “Always brings a smile to everyone’s faces, even for 8 a.m. classes!”
- “After the mid-semester student surveys were completed, he shared the input with the class and shifted his teaching to accommodate preferences.”
- “He has a great knowledge base about his content and relates it to ideas that students understand.”
“I am grateful for the recognition of my work as an educator. Teaching is one of the most significant professions, as it can shape the future of society. All students have distinct talents to offer, and I am dedicated to helping them achieve their maximum potential,” Schmelzle says.
“All students have distinct talents to offer, and I am dedicated to helping them achieve their maximum potential.”
Prior to returning to academia, Schmelzle held managerial positions in supply management, manufacturing, and logistics planning throughout the US and Europe. Building on more than 18 years of industry experience, Schmelzle focuses his research on managerial decision-making promoting efficiency and innovativeness. He is particularly interested in how supply chain management can enhance the innovation performance of an organization.
He regularly presents his research at international conferences from organizations such as the Decision Sciences Institute and the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.
About the College of Business
The Michigan Tech College of Business offers undergraduate majors in accounting, business analytics, construction management, economics, engineering management, finance, management, management information systems, and marketing, as well as a general business option. Graduate degrees include the TechMBA®, a Master of Engineering Management, a Master of Science in Accounting, and a Master of Science in Applied Natural Resource Economics.