Michigan Tech students and staff, and community members, are solicited for participation in a perception experiment being conducted by faculty and students of the Department of Computer Science. The experiments involve viewing and moving around in either computer-generated “virtual reality” environments or “real” environments and making perceptual judgments.
Requirements for participation
- You must be between 18 and 35 years old (inclusive).
- You must have normal or corrected-to-normal vision with contacts. Glasses are discouraged because they do not always fit under the head-mounted display.
- You must be able to walk with or without vision. For example, you may be asked to walk with your eyes closed (an experimenter will ensure that you will not run into anything).
- You must not have a history of epilepsy or seizure.
What do I need to do on the day of the study?
- Wear your glasses or contacts if you need them for normal vision.
- You must wear footwear that is comfortable for walking. Sandals are OK if they are well-secured to your feet and do not fall off easily.
- If you feel ill or fatigued prior to the experiment, contact us and we will reschedule the experiment.
How long does the study take?
Individual studies typically take 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete. A few studies may take as long as an hour and a half. We will try to communicate the expected length of the particular experiment when you sign up.
Where is the study?
Most of the experiments will occur in Rekhi Hall on the Michigan Tech campus. There are parking meters nearby the building.
What is the compensation for participation?
You will be paid $10 for participation up to an hour.
How do I schedule a time to do the study?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- What days/times are you available?
- Give us a phone number where you can reached.
- Indicate if you would like us to reply to you via email or phone.
The experiment is not scheduled until you receive a confirmation email or phone call from us.
Download an informational flyer below.