Center for Science and Environmental Outreach Hires New Director

Hi! As many already know, Joan Chadde recently retired after a long successful career with Michigan Tech’s Center for Science and Environmental Outreach (CSEO). My name is Tom Oliver and I am the new Director for the CSEO! 

Tom Oliver at Swedetown Cross Country Ski Trails, Calumet, Michigan

I am based out of the Dow Environmental Sciences and Engineering Building on Michigan Tech’s campus in Houghton and I look forward to working with and supporting you in your science and environmental outreach and education efforts.

I live in the Lake Linden area with my wife (Kay) and our 2-year old Standard Poodle. We love a wide array outdoor activities in all seasons. When I am not working (and free of the obligations that come with maintaining a home), I am either hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, or pursuing all forms of wildlife with my camera. Please feel free to check out some of my photography, if you would like here: teoliver.com.

My education and experience has included over a decade each as a wildlife biologist, then as a middle/high school science teacher.  My new role encompasses each of those careers and fits well with my goal to help people appreciate and learn more about our diverse and amazing world through the development and application of engaging and fun STEM learning opportunities for teachers, K-12 students, and the public – with the hope of encouraging others to become interested in STEM and environmental stewardship issues and career paths. Please feel free to reach out to me at teoliver@mtu.edu

I’d also like to take a moment to thank Audra Morse (and the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering), David Flaspohler (and the College of Forest Resources and Environmental Science), Amy Marcarelli (and the Ecosystem Science Center) and the staff at MTU’s Great Lakes Research Center who have all helped me acclimate to my new responsibilities and for everything they continue to do to support the CSEO and its programs.