Upcoming Events & Programs
- Great Lakes Investigations Aboard Michigan Tech’s Research Vessel Agassiz May – September, 2019 For Students in Grades 4-12 ~ Fun! FREE! Educational! Ride the Waves with GM invites Grades 4-12 classes to join scientists from Michigan Tech’s Great Lakes Research Center in the exploration of Lake Superior, Portage Waterway and Torch Lake. There are 4 programs to choose from— each ~4 hours in length—that will accommodate up to 18 students/teachers. Reserve your spot now For more information on available trips click here.
- Summer Science and Engineering Camp Registration Now Open!!!! Register Here!
- Outdoor Science Investigation Field Trips April 8 – June 7, 2019 Spring Field Trip registration is now Open! To sign up: Spring Field Trip Request Form
- Spring 2019 After School Science & Engineering Classes for Gr. 1-8 Students April 1 – May 13 (no class on April 22) 6 sessions, 4:00-5:30 pm Hands-on explorations taught by Michigan Tech science & engineering students and staff at MTU’s Great Lakes Research Center (104 GLRC).
- 2019 Family Science & Engineering Nights. For information contact Joan Chadde @ firstname.lastname@example.org
or 906-487-3341. Schedule
- May 16-19 Lake Superior Youth Symposium at University of Minnesota Duluth for 400 Gr. 8-12 students and teachers from MI, WI, MN, ON. For information and to get on the email list-serve, contact: Amy Kireta <email@example.com> https://scse.d.umn.edu/lsys-2019 For info on past Symposiums: http://lakesuperioryouth.org/
- June 20th and 24-28 Western UP Summer Institute 2019 FREE! Place-based, Interdisciplinary Watershed Literacy for K-12 Teachers and Community Partners. Participate for one or more days! For more information click the link above or download the flyer.
- Creating Great Lakes Stewards to Promote Clean Water & Healthy Urban Watersheds in Detroit
- Now Hiring MTU Students ~ to be educators! Lead Great Lakes Investigations Aboard Michigan Tech’s Research Vessel Agassiz – lab instructors and chief scientists needed for our Ride the Waves Program .We are seeking students studying Environmental Engineering, Biology or a similar Major for a part-time job at MTU this summer. Do you enjoy working with youth in grades 4-12? Can you enthusiastically discuss limnology, food chains, bioaccumulation etc.? PAY: $10-$12/hour, Hours: part time as needed APPLY Online: RTW Employment Application, Applications accepted until positions filled (May 17th).For more information, call or email: Brian Doughty firstname.lastname@example.org or 906‐487‐3341
- Now Hiring After School K-8 Instructors Application
- May 3rd at Detroit’s Belle Isle Nature Center 5:30 ‐ 7:30 pm Engaging Urban Youth in the Outdoors: A conversation with Dr. Robert Simmons
2019 Green Films (NEW in 2019 – all films will be the 3rd WEDNESDAY of each month, January-June) in G002 Hesterberg Hall of the Forestry Building.
- May 15 Green Film: Mother Caring for 7 Billion (2017)
- 2019 Green Films Flyer and Schedule
- Archive Green Films 2011-2018 are available for a 2-week checkout for Classroom, Meetings or Home Viewing. To borrow films, contact: Joan Chadde 487-3341 or email@example.com at the 115 Great Lakes Research Center at Michigan Tech
- Sept. 27-29, 2019 ~Michigan Alliance for Environmental & Outdoor Education (MAEOE) Conference at Kettunen Center in Tustin, MI
- Nov 7-9, 2019 Place-based Education (PBE) Conference in Flint hosted by Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative. For information: https://greatlakesstewardship.org/place-based-education-conference/