Upcoming Events & Programs
- Winter 2019 After School Science & Engineering Classes for Gr. 1-5 Students Jan. 21st – Feb. 28 6 sessions, 4:00-5:30 pm Hands-on explorations taught by Michigan Tech science & engineering students and staff at MTU’s Great Lakes Research Center (104 GLRC). Register online here!
- Outdoor Science Investigation Field Trips Jan 2 – March 22, 2019 To sign up: Winter Field Trip Request Form
- 2019 Family Science & Engineering Nights. For information contact Joan Chadde @ email@example.com
or 906-487-3341. Schedule
- March 19, 2019, Western UP Science Fair & STEM Festival
- May 16-19 Lake Superior Youth Symposium at University of Minnesota Duluth for 400 Gr. 8-12 students and teachers from MI, WI, MN, ON. For information and to get on the email list-serve, contact: Amy Kireta <firstname.lastname@example.org> https://scse.d.umn.edu/lsys-2019 For info on past Symposiums: http://lakesuperioryouth.org/
- Jan 22, 7-8 pm The Father’s Day Flood: Causes, Effects & Responses Stormwater Drainage issues and Community Decision-making with Dr. Melanie Keuber Watkins at Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw Community Room. Credit: 6 SCECHs (teachers must attend 4 of the 6 lectures presented). No need to register for this event series. Open to the public. Upcoming dates: Feb. 19, March 19, April 16. Check back for more information.
- January 23 23 Ideating Workshop: Design Thinking – Part I (4:30-7 pm) with Dr. Mary Raber in 104 GLRC. Includes dinner. SCECHs pending
- Feb.27 Ideating Workshop Part II : Design Thinking (4:30-7 pm) with Dr. Mary Raber in Alley Makerspace at MTU- MUB. Includes dinner. SCECHs pending.
- March 7 Community Agriculture & School Gardens: Ideas from Shelburne Farms (4:30-8 pm) at 104 GLRC with Joan Chadde and Abbey Palmer, MSU North Farm. Includes dinner. SCECHs pending.
- April 12 Project Wild & Project Learning Tree for Early Learners (8:30am-3:30 pm) at Nara Nature Center with Joan Chadde and Bob Wild (Chief of Interpretation) Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Includes lunch. SCECHs pending.
- Creating Great Lakes Stewards to Promote Clean Water & Healthy Urban Watersheds in Detroit
- Now Hiring After School K-8 Instructors Application
Jan 16, 7:00 – 8:30 PM Green Film: Carbon Nation (NEW in 2019 – all films will be the 3rd WEDNESDAY of each month, January-June) in G002 Hesterberg Hall of the Forestry Building.
- February 20 Green Film: Mother Caring for 7 Billion (2017)
- March 20 Green Film/World Water Day: Marathon for Justice (2016)
- March 21 -26 World Water Day events related to the United Nations theme, “Leaving No One Behind – Human Rights: Near & Far.” For more info: https://www.mtu.edu/greatlakes/about/world-water-day/
- March 25 World Water Day keynote speaker Monica Lewis-Patrick(aka The Water Warrior), Co-Founder, President & CEO of We the People of Detroit. She is an active member of the People’s Water Board Coalition, US Human Rights Network, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), and D-REM.org, and was named to the World Water Justice Council in October 2015. (MUB Ballroom)
- March 26 4-6 pm, World Water Day Panel (202 GLRC)
- April 11 Lake Superior Celebration at MTU Great Lakes Research Center (6-8 pm)
- April 17 Green Film: The Permaculture Orchard: Beyond Organic (2014)
- May 15 Green Film: Wasted! The Story of Food Waste (2017)
- Archive Green Films 2011-2018 are available for a 2-week checkout for Classroom, Meetings or Home Viewing. To borrow films, contact: Joan Chadde 487-3341 or email@example.com at the 115 Great Lakes Research Center at Michigan Tech
- March 1-2, 2019 ~ Michigan Science Teachers Association Conference in Grand Rapids, MI
- April. 11–14, 2019 ~National Science Teachers Association Conference in St. Louis, MO
- Nov 7-9, 2019 Place-based Education (PBE) Conference in Flint hosted by Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative. For information: https://greatlakesstewardship.org/place-based-education-conference/