Upcoming Events & Programs
- Outdoor Science Investigation Field Trips April 8 – June 7, 2019 Spring Field Trip registration is now Open! To sign up: Spring Field Trip Request Form
- Spring 2019 After School Science & Engineering Classes for Gr. 1-8 Students April 1 – May 13 (no class on April 22) 6 sessions, 4:00-5:30 pm Hands-on explorations taught by Michigan Tech science & engineering students and staff at MTU’s Great Lakes Research Center (104 GLRC). Registration Now Open!
- 2019 Family Science & Engineering Nights. For information contact Joan Chadde @ email@example.com
or 906-487-3341. Schedule
- May 16-19 Lake Superior Youth Symposium at University of Minnesota Duluth for 400 Gr. 8-12 students and teachers from MI, WI, MN, ON. For information and to get on the email list-serve, contact: Amy Kireta <firstname.lastname@example.org> https://scse.d.umn.edu/lsys-2019 For info on past Symposiums: http://lakesuperioryouth.org/
- The Father’s Day Flood: Causes, Effects & Responses at Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw Community Room. Credit: 6 SCECHs (teachers must attend 4 of the 6 lectures presented). No need to register for this event series. Open to the public.Upcoming dates: Feb. 19, March 19, April 16. Check back for more information.
- April 12 Project Wild & Project Learning Tree for Early Learners (8:30am-3:30 pm) at Nara Nature Center with Joan Chadde and Bob Wild (Chief of Interpretation) Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Includes lunch. SCECHs pending.
- Creating Great Lakes Stewards to Promote Clean Water & Healthy Urban Watersheds in Detroit
- Now Hiring After School K-8 Instructors Application
- April 11 Lake Superior Celebration at MTU Great Lakes Research Center (6-8 pm) The Lake Superior Celebration will include informative displays by local growers, non-profits, entrepreneurs. There will be hands on activities for youth, and presentations by Rachael Pressley and Valoree Gagnon on the Western UP Food Hub and presentations by Lake Superior Stewardship Initiative (LSSI) school teams Hands-on Activities for Students!
6:15 Tomato Planet
6:35 Making Butter
7:00 Posy Poetry
7:15 Starting From Scratch
7:40 Making Animal Hats
More than a dozen community organizations and entities will have displays and activities.Light refreshments, including snacks, cake, lemonade & coffee, will be provided.
- May 3rd at Detroit’s Belle Isle Nature Center 5:30 ‐ 7:30 pm Engaging Urban Youth in the Outdoors: A conversation with Dr. Robert Simmons
2019 Green Films (NEW in 2019 – all films will be the 3rd WEDNESDAY of each month, January-June) in G002 Hesterberg Hall of the Forestry Building.
- April 17 Green Film: The Permaculture Orchard: Beyond Organic (2014)
- May 15 Green Film: Wasted! The Story of Food Waste (2017)
- Archive Green Films 2011-2018 are available for a 2-week checkout for Classroom, Meetings or Home Viewing. To borrow films, contact: Joan Chadde 487-3341 or email@example.com at the 115 Great Lakes Research Center at Michigan Tech
- April. 11–14, 2019 ~National Science Teachers Association Conference in St. Louis, MO
- Sept. 27-29, 2019 ~Michigan Alliance for Environmental & Outdoor Education (MAEOE) Conference at Kettunen Center in Tustin, MI
- Nov 7-9, 2019 Place-based Education (PBE) Conference in Flint hosted by Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative. For information: https://greatlakesstewardship.org/place-based-education-conference/