Some students take summer classes at Michigan Tech to replace a grade, to lighten the credits of a future semester(s), or for a great excuse to enjoy the Copper Country summers. Summer 2016 course offerings at Michigan Tech are now available at: www.mtu.edu/registrar/students/registration/prepare.
When you are scheduling, please note that some courses run the full summer semester and some run the first or second half of the semester. The dates the course will run are listed on-line when you register. Keep in mind a half-semester course requires the full amount of work in half the time (i.e., the course is taught at an accelerated pace).
If you do not want to stay at Michigan Tech for the summer, but would like to take courses, there are two other options. You can take Michigan Tech courses on-line, or you can take classes at another college and transfer them back to Michigan Tech (see transfer information below). Before taking a class at another college or university, you should check with the Michigan Tech Transfer Office to be sure that it will transfer as the course you need.
If you are going to take classes elsewhere, make sure that the course(s) will transfer to Michigan Tech as the course(s) you need BEFORE you take the class.
1) Check for the course on the Transfer Equivalency System.
2) If the course you want is NOT on the Transfer Credit Equivalency list, you may request to have it evaluated by sending information to the Michigan Tech Transfer Services Office.
Required Information for Transfer Evaluation
- University or college name
- Course ID and title
- Course Catalog Description
Additional information may be required
- Syllabus including
- Textbook(s) used
- Detailed Description
- Course Outline
- a) Register for the course (for other Michigan colleges, use the Guest Application),
- b) Earn a grade of “C” or better (the grade will not transfer, but the credit will), and
- c) Have your official transcripts sent to Michigan Tech.
- Office of Student Records & Registration
- Admin Bldg 130
- 1400 Townsend Avenue
- Houghton, MI 49931-1295
4) Prereqs: If any course you plan to take off campus is a prerequisite for your next semester on campus, you will need to notify Transfer Services (firstname.lastname@example.org). They will then enter an IS – in session code which to prevent prerequisite scheduling issues.
5) On-line courses may sound easier since you can approach the class in your own time. Though this is true for some classes, on-line classes also require self-motivation and a time commitment on your part. Before taking the class, check into the course requirements, including internet access, exam proctors, etc.
Michigan Tech – On-line FAQs
6) Other Resources: Michigan Transfer Network – Always double check that the course transfers as your required course by contacting the Transfer Office.