Nominations are now closed for the 2010 competition.
Nominations are now open for the 2010 Council of Graduate Schools (CGS)/University Microfilms International (UMI) Distinguished Dissertation Award. This year, nominations are being accepted from dissertations in the fields of:
- mathematics, physical sciences, and engineering
- social sciences
Michigan Tech may nominate one student in each field. PhD students who have completed all of their degree requirements between July 1, 2008, and June 30, 2010, are eligible.
A nomination packet must include the following:
- a completed nomination form.
- a 10-page abstract of the dissertation, double spaced on white letter-sized paper. (pdf preferred)
- optional: abstract appendices containing non-textual material such as charts, tables or figures. (pdf preferred)
- a letter of reference from the dissertation advisor.
- a letter of reference from a member of the nominee’s dissertation committee.
- a letter of reference from a person chosen by the nominee.
The letters of reference should address the significance and quality of the dissertation work.
Nominations should be delivered to Debra Charlesworth in the Graduate School no later than 4 p.m. on June 30. Contact Debra (email@example.com) if you have any questions about the competition. See also the Council for Graduate School’s announcement page.