The procedures will be rolled out in a phased fashion to give students, faculty, and staff adequate time to prepare for the implementation.
Beginning with all submissions in fall 2010, the deadlines to complete a degree in a given semester will alter. There is a new deadline to submit a final thesis or dissertation, as well as a changed deadline to complete a degree in a given semester. See our deadlines web page for dates for upcoming semesters.
Students scheduling a defense prior to January 10, 2011 will submit theses and dissertations following the requirements currently in place.
Students who schedule a defense on or after January 10, 2011 will follow the formatting requirements in the new procedures.
See our formatting web page for additional links and helpful information.
Support for Students
In support of these new procedures, a number of initiatives are planned throughout 2010 to aid students. Contact Debra Charlesworth to suggest additional initiatives.
- An EndNote style to provide uniform reference formatting in the Graduate School style.
- A new review form with links and references to the procedures.
- A preflight file for use with Adobe Acrobat so students can identify some formatting problems prior to submission to the Graduate School.
- Blog posts designed to answer specific “how to” questions related to thesis and dissertation submission.
- Seminars throughout summer 2010 and previous seminars available online now:
- An Introduction to Adobe Acrobat (July 7, 2009)
- Submitting Your Thesis or Dissertation to the Graduate School (May 18, 2010)
- Tips and Tricks for MS Office (June 9, 2010)
- An Introduction to EndNote (June 30, 2010)
- An Introduction to Copyright (July 14, 2010)
- Updated FAQ with references to new procedures.