The Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science (SC) established the DOE Office of Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE SCGF) Program (http://scgf.orau.gov/overview.html) in 2009 to support outstanding students to pursue graduate training in basic research in areas of physics, biology (non-medical), chemistry, mathematics, engineering, computer and computational sciences, and environmental sciences relevant to the Office of Science and to encourage the development of the next generation of scientific and technical talent in the U.S who will pursue careers in research critical to the Office of Science mission at DOE laboratories and in academia.
The fellowship award provides partial tuition support, an annual stipend for living expenses, and a research allowance for full-time graduate study and thesis/dissertation research at an accredited college or university in the United States or its territories for three years.
DOE Fellows receive a yearly stipend (for up to 3 years) of $35,000. Additional benefits are listed here: http://scgf.orau.gov/benefits.html
You are eligible to apply if one of the following circumstances applies to you at the time of applying:
- You are an undergraduate senior, planning to apply to qualified graduate programs (see below) this year and be enrolled by Fall 2012.
- You are a first year or second year Master’s or Ph.D. student in a qualified graduate program.
- You are in your last year of a BS/MS program and plan to be enrolled in a qualified Ph.D. program by Fall 2012.
- You are not currently enrolled in a graduate program, but have been accepted into a qualified graduate program that will begin in the Spring or Fall of 2012.
- You have completed your undergraduate degree and are not currently enrolled in a graduate program, but plan to apply to qualified graduate programs and be enrolled in Fall 2012.
Applicants to the DOE SCGF program must meet all of the requirements in the following areas to be eligible to apply:
- Minimum age and U.S. citizenship
- Academic Status
- Enrollment in a Qualified Graduate Program
- Other Federal Graduate Fellowships
You are NOT eligible to apply if one or any combination of the following describe your graduate education status:
- You will be in your third year of a Master’s program in Fall 2012.
- You have completed more than 6 semesters/9 quarters (*) of cumulative graduate work at the time of applying.
- You have completed more than 3 semesters/5 quarters (*) of cumulative graduate work in a Ph.D. program at the time of applying.
- You seek to pursue a second Ph.D. degree.
- You are currently in your second Master’s degree program and will not be in a qualified Ph.D. program by Fall 2012.
*Full or part-time