Doctoral Finishing Fellowship Spring 2021 Recipient – Mikhail Trought

I obtained my Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry at Lawrence University, Appleton Wisconsin in June 2016 and started my graduate studies at Michigan Technological University in September 2016. Currently, I am a PhD. candidate in Dr. Kathryn A. Perrine’s research group in the Chemistry Department. The research projects that I have focused on involves investigating the influence of functionalization and surface morphology on the growth of metal oxide nanostructures deposited on 2D model substrates using atomic layer deposition, which can directly assist in designing and creating next-generation semiconductors and heterogeneous catalysts. Additionally, we investigate surface reactions of earth-abundant metal/metal oxide surfaces at ultra-high vacuum pressures to ambient pressure conditions. Performing our experiments at the ambient pressure regime allows us to bridge the knowledge gap between surface reactions occurring at low (ultra-high vacuum) and high pressures. We also, incorporate a myriad of Atomic force microscopy techniques to investigate topography, hydrophilicity and insitu surface reactions.
I would like to sincerely thank the Graduate Dean Awards Advisory Panel and the Graduate School for providing me with the Finishing Fellowship award. This will allow me to focus on writing and defending my dissertation in Spring 2021.