MAGS Excellence in Teaching Award – Spring 2024 Recipient – Scott K Pomerville

Scott Pomerville in a grassy valley with mountains behind
Scott Pomerville, Computer Science

Learning is hard, and it takes effort, but it can be easier when you’re having fun and feel like there is someone there helping you along. My name is Scott Pomerville, and I’m a PhD candidate in the department of Computer Science working on Architectural design of computer processors under Dr. Soner Önder. I did my undergraduate degree here, and decided that I loved both the area of Computer Science and the University enough to continue getting my Doctorate here.

I have found my voice in the classroom in trying to be openly energetic, passionate, and excited to hear what students say. I want to let my personality and passion bleed into the classroom. By being relatable and demonstrating excitement over the material, I think I can help students connect with the same topics that I personally also find fun. My objective as a teacher isn’t to just convey information, but to also show how exciting the field can be, from my lectures down to the assignments I give them.

My mentors and fellow colleagues have been instrumental in shaping me as both a researcher and as a teacher, and I am very thankful to each and every one of them for helping inspire both a love of research and a love of teaching. I am thankful for the nomination, and I am humbled and honored to be representing the university for Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools Excellence in Teaching Award for 2024.

2 responses to “MAGS Excellence in Teaching Award – Spring 2024 Recipient – Scott K Pomerville