Doctoral Finishing Fellowship – Summer 2024 Recipient – Miaomiao Li

Miaomiao Li standing in formal attire with the Portage Lake Lift Bridge in the background
Miaomiao Li – Civil Engineering

My connection with MTU dates back to my undergraduate years at Chang’an University, where my first advisor, Dr. Yu Liu, a distinguished graduate of MTU, ignited my passion for civil engineering. After seven years of focused study in civil engineering, especially pavement, I am thrilled to have gained admission to the same Ph.D. program as Dr. Liu in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering.

Throughout my academic journey, my interests have extended from pavement engineering to infrastructure risk analysis. Recognizing the increasing threat of extreme weather events and natural disasters, my research focuses on evaluating the fragility, failure, and risk of various infrastructure systems. By quantifying hazards and conducting thorough analyses of structural components, I aim to contribute to the development of strategies for pre-event evaluation, regular maintenance, and rapid recovery of critical infrastructure.

I am sincerely grateful to the Graduate School for awarding me this prestigious fellowship. With this support, I can fully dedicate myself to completing my remaining research projects and dissertation. I extend my heartfelt appreciation to my Ph.D. advisor, Dr. Qingli Dai, my committee members, the faculty, and friends in the CEGE department for their unwavering support and encouragement.

As a female engineer, reaching this milestone fills me with pride and empowerment. Reflecting on my journey, I am reminded of a quote to express my aspirations for myself and fellow women in engineering: “I wish you high-spirited. I wish you a clank. May you break free from shackles to break the ceiling. May you take root in the earth and straighten your spine.”

With gratitude and determination, I eagerly embrace the opportunities ahead, committed to making meaningful contributions to the field of civil engineering and beyond.