Finishing Fellowship – Fall 2024 – Samuel Hervey

I joined Michigan Tech as a PhD student during the winter of 2020 working with my advisor, Dr. Kristin Brzeski, and the National Park Service to track wolves and monitor their genetic health through the use of molecular tools. I was immediately drawn to this project as my research interests surround the use of molecular tools and application of evolutionary theory to make informed wildlife management decisions.

My dissertation utilizes a variety of molecular tools to understand the health of a recently introduced population of wolves on Isle Royale National Park and wolves in the western Great Lakes Region. To accomplish this, I optimized a set of molecular markers that will help track the number of wolves occupying Isle Royale as well as the level of inbreeding within the population. With this information we can better understand the health of the wolf population through time and if interventions may be necessary. Further, through work focused on the Great Lakes Region, we have found the most recently recolonized wolf populations (Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) have the poorest genetic health, emphasizing the importance of maintaining wolf migration between states to alleviate these effects.

Since I first arrived at Michigan Tech, I have had the opportunity to learn many new skill sets ranging from technical molecular methods to communicating scientific information to broad audiences. I cannot thank my advisor, my committee, fellow graduate students, and staff for their guidance, help, and training throughout my PhD journey. Last, I would like to thank the Graduate Dean Awards Advisory Panel for awarding me the finishing fellowship.