Transfer credits from other schools

Transfer Credits: If you choose to take classes elsewhere and transfer them to Michigan Tech, please follow the below procedure.  The Transfer Services web page has links for all the information you will need as referenced below.

  • First, choose courses that are an approved equivalent to Michigan Tech courses required for your degree.
  • To access a list of courses already approved for transfer, use the Michigan Tech Transfer Equivalency System.  This online system is also linked from the Transfer Services page.  It is organized by state and then by institution.  This is the system you should use for these equivalencies rather than transfer guides, etc from any other source.
  • Any courses with an equivalent course number shown on the Critical Creative Thinking (CCT) list or Social Responsibility & Ethical Reasoning list may be used for those requirements.  A course shown equivalent to HUFA 9000L may also be used for the CCT requirement.
  • For HASS courses, any course shown equivalent to a Michigan Tech course number on the current HASS list can, of course, be used.  Also any courses – regardless of subject – with an equivalent course number shown of 9300L (lower-level) or 9300U (upper-level) can be used to fulfill HASS requirements.  The 9300U can also satisfy 3000-level or higher HASS requirements.
  • Any course with an equivalency shown as PEA 9006 is usable as co-curricular activities units.  Most of these are 1 full unit equivalents, as opposed to 1/2 unit co-curricular courses that are typical when taken at Michigan Tech.
  • Equivalent transfer courses to both MA 2710 and MA 2720 are acceptable in place of MA 3710 for the BSME program.
  • If the course you want or need is NOT included in the transfer equivalency system, you can request to have it evaluated for transfer credit by sending the below information (usually included on a full syllabus) to Transfer Services:
  1. University or college name and location
  2. Course number, course title, and number of credits (note if credits are not on a standard semester system)
  3. A short catalog description is not enough information to evaluate a course for possible Michigan Tech credit. You must provide a syllabus.
  4. Textbook(s) used
  5. Detailed description of topics (not just outcomes) and grading system. At a minimum, the description of topics must include a week-by-week (class-by-class) breakdown of the topics/chapters covered.
  6. If all this information is available online, you can send the link(s) to Allow several weeks for the course evaluation process to be completed by the appropriate Michigan Tech academic department.
  7. Before submitting a course for evaluation, please make sure that the course is being offered and you intend to take it. Please bear in mind that you will be subject to any prerequisites or restrictions in place at the transfer institution, as well as Michigan Tech pre-reqs, etc.
  • If you will be taking a class at another institution in the state of Michigan (regardless of your residency), fill out a Guest Student Application and submit it to Michigan Tech Transfer Services (application linked on Transfer Services page).  This will streamline the process of becoming a student at another college or university in Michigan.  Transfer Services must complete Part II on the application form (ME advisors cannot complete this).
  • Once admitted as a guest student, register for the course(s) at the other institution.
  • If a transfer course you are taking is a prerequisite for a course you plan to take in your next semester at Michigan Tech, notify Transfer Services of your registration and an in-session (IS) placeholder can be entered into Banner.  The IS will act as a pre-req to allow you to register for the next course(s) you need here at Tech.
  • Complete the transfer course(s).  Grades must be ‘C’ (2.00/4.00 or equivalent) or better to be accepted by Michigan Tech. For example, a grade of “C-” will not transfer.
  • How to complete transfer of credits to Michigan Tech:
    Request an official copy of your transcript be sent to Michigan Tech as soon as you have completed the course(s) and earned a ‘C’ or better.  This will not happen automatically.  You must make a transcript request with the institution where you have completed courses.  Official transcripts are sealed and must be sent to/received by Michigan Tech Transfer Services directly (electronically or otherwise) from other institutions. Do not request these transcripts to be sent to yourself, academic advisors, etc.  Earned transfer credits are not included in any GPA calculations, but can impact your GPAs if the transfer replaces a previous grade of ‘CD’, ‘D’. or ‘F’.  Removal of these poor grades for these calculations may cause GPAs to improve once transfer credits are entered. The earned grade at the transferring institution will not be used to calculate Michigan Tech GPAs.
  • Don’t plan too many transfers if you are planning to graduate within 2-3 semesters
    University policy at Michigan Tech for all students is that no more than 6 of the final 36 credits towards degree requirements (for each undergraduate degree completed) can be transfer credits from other institutions.  Stated in reverse, this means 30 of the last 36 credits to graduate must be Michigan Tech credits.  This requirement is counted from when the transfer credits are entered in banner here at Michigan Tech, so don’t delay on having transcripts sent.  Always get your transfer credits processed as soon as you have grades posted.
  • Study Abroad credits are not necessarily transfer credits
    Typically, study-abroad credits through sanctioned study-abroad programs are considered to be Michigan Tech credits and are normally graded as pass-fail according to minimum standards of grades that are earned while studying through those programs.  Contact International Programs and Services (IPS) for more information on study-abroad opportunities and the pre-departure process.  Courses will be evaluated and possibly approved as equivalent to Michigan Tech courses similarly to the syllabus submission process detailed above.  It is critical that you have all your study-abroad equivalencies pre-approved before leaving Michigan Tech and departing for that experience.