Last year MTU celebrated Earth Week, but this year we have so many new ideas that we’re dedicating a WHOLE MONTH to sustainability events! Our student organizations are excited to show you all the ways you can live more sustainably! Check out the official Sustainability Month flier with individual event descriptions below for all the ways you can get involved!
- Clothing Swap – March 30th & 31st, 11– 4pm @ Fisher Hall Do you enjoy thrifting, upcycling, or free stuff? Stop by the clothing swap to check out our free, gently used and donated items. You never know what you might find! Donations accepted at the event. Event hosted by the Students for Sustainability, contact Clare Fidler at email@example.com for more information.
- Reading & Conversation with Erin Sharkey Michael Kleber-Diggs – April 3rd, 5:30-7pm in Forestry G002 or on Zoom Erin Sharkey and Michael Kleber-Diggs will discuss, A Darker Wilderness: Black Nature Writing from Soil to Stars, a collection of personal and lyric essays in conversation with archival objects of Black history and memory. This collection explores stories spanning hundreds of years and thousands of miles, traveling from roots to space–finding rich Blackness everywhere. Together we will consider the significance of nature in our lives and on the role of nature in the lives of Black folks. Snacks provided! Event hosted by the Office of the Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Office of Sustainability and Resilience. contact Cindy Pindral at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virtual Event Link: https://augsburg.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nURxhbBQTJugZwSoU0movQ
- Clothing Alterations Edu. Session – April 6th, 7-8pm @ MUB Makerspace S4S is hosting a mending and modifying clothing education session. We will have various stations for learning to sew buttons, patches, etc. Event hosted by Students for Sustainability, contact Clare Fidler at email@example.com for more information.
- Sustainability Awards – April 10th, 4-5pm @ MUB Ballroom Find out the winners of the 2023 Sustainability Awards and learn about sustainability initiatives at Michigan Tech from Office Director, Alan Turnquist! Light refreshments provided. Event hosted by the Office of Sustainability and Resilience, contact Alan Turnquist at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Bird Feeder Craft Night – April 13th, 4-6pm @ MUB Makerspace Learn to craft a small bird feeder by reusing small plastic bottles. Event hosted by Students for Sustainability, contact Clare Fidler at email@example.com for more information.
- Waste Reduction Drive – April 15th, 9am-3pm @ SDC Bring all your old deodorant tubes, dental products, razors, writing utensils, socks, and egg cartons to the SDC to have them recycled by our awesome sustainability leaders from the MTU Sustainability Demonstration House! Contact Abbey Herndon at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Art and Music Festival – April 16th, 3:30-7:30pm @ Rozsa Center Lobby Listen to local music, meet with sustainability-related enterprises and student organizations, admire earth-themed artwork, and learn about ways to become involved! Event hosted by Keweenaw Youth Climate Action, contact Paige McKean email@example.com or Francine Rosinski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Earth Day Dinner – April 20th, 4-7pm @ McNair Dinning Hall Join us for the 3rd annual Earth Day Dinner! Food served in McNair Dining Hall will be plant-based and generated waste will be diverted from the landfill. Event hosted by the Sustainability Demonstration House, contact Kendra Lachcik at email@example.com or Abbey Herndon at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Sustainability Foods and Movie Night – April 21st, 6-8pm @ Fisher 125 Students for Sustainability is hosting a movie night with vegan and vegetarian snacks! Contact Clare Fidler at email@example.com for more information.