The Michigan Technological University Archives and Copper Country Historical Collections, a department within the J. Robert Van Pelt and John and Ruanne Opie Library, is currently seeking applicants for the Friends of the Michigan Tech Library Graduate Archives Internship for summer 2023.
Under the direct supervision of one of the archivists on staff, the intern will get hands-on experience processing small to medium size archival collections, with an opportunity to broaden their role to include other areas of archival practice, such as accessioning, appraisal, and preservation. The Archival Processing Intern assists with the following duties:
- Survey and physically process collections, including arrangement and creating catalog records and finding aids.
- Manage collection records using ArchivesSpace, OCLC, and Ex Libris Alma.
- Conduct research on subjects, groups, individuals, and events as they relate to collections.
- Perform basic preservation, such as re-housing collection materials in acid-free folders and containers.
- Aid the archives staff in the appraisal and accessioning of new archives donations.
- Preference will be given to applicants currently enrolled in or recent graduates of (within twelve months) a graduate archival studies program, but consideration may be given for equivalent education and experience.
- Knowledge of contemporary archival practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be detail oriented with strong research skills.
- Goal oriented and self-motivated with exceptional time management.
- Ability to work both independently and with little or no supervision as well as in a team.
- Knowledge of DACS and experience applying archival descriptive standards.
- Competency in Microsoft Office systems, as well as integrated library and archival collection management systems. Knowledge of ArchivesSpace preferred.
- Basic knowledge of preservation for paper-based collections. Experience with cleaning and conservation care for paper-based collections preferred.
- Knowledge of historical research methods, some knowledge of Michigan history is beneficial.
- Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 40 lbs and push carts weighing up to 100 lbs.
Terms of Position
This is a 35 hour per week, part-time summer position intended to span thirteen to fifteen weeks. The preferred start date is May 1, 2023 or May 15, 2023 with an end date of August 11, 2023 or August 25, 2023 (depending on the start date). There are no benefits included with this position and the successful candidate will be expected to cover travel expenses to Houghton, Michigan. The intern will be compensated for actual work performed in the form of a stipend up to $7500, to be paid out bi-weekly throughout the duration of employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed. Applications must be received by February 17, 2023 for full consideration.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
The Michigan Tech Archives houses a wide variety of historical print, graphic and manuscript resources related to the history of the Copper Country and Michigan Technological University. Subject coverage is vast and includes University and campus life, regional towns and cities, local industries and businesses, social organizations, and events and personalities of the Copper Country and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Primary topical research areas include the western Upper Peninsula, industrial history (particularly copper mining and its ancillary industries), social history, community development along the Keweenaw Peninsula, transportation, and the environment.
Please contact the Michigan Tech Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org or (906) 487-2505 with any questions. To apply for the internship, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
Lindsay Hiltunen, University Archivist
Michigan Technological University Archives and Copper Country Historical Collections
Van Pelt and Opie Library
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931