A week packed with special activities and Homecoming programs marks the kickoff of the public phase of Michigan Tech’s $200-million capital campaign. All across campus, colorful banners showcase gifts through the years that have helped raise Michigan Tech’s stature.
The campaign, which began in 2006, will continue until 2013. Called “Generations of Discovery,” the fundraising initiative focuses on raising support for priority items in the University’s strategic plan, including endowed faculty positions and student financial aid. The amount raised so far and a new major gift will be announced at a campaign kickoff dinner on campus on Thursday, Sept. 30.
Here are some of the week’s events that are open to the campus and community:
Thursday, Sept. 30
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Van Pelt and Opie Library: Undergraduate and graduate student research poster session
- 1 to 3 p.m., Walker Arts and Humanities Center lawn: Homecoming root beer floats for everyone (in case of rain, this event will move to the Memorial Union Commons)
- 2:30 to 4 p.m., Little Huskies Child Development Center: Open house in recognition of national accreditation
- 4 to 5:30 p.m., M&M U115: Entrepreneurship and Technology Symposium
Friday, Oct. 1
- 8:30 to 8:50 a.m., Memorial Grove, along Hwy 41 next to Walker and Rozsa Center: Dedication of the Memorial Grove
- 1 to 3 p.m., Administration Building, 4th Floor: Graduate School and Graduate Student Government Open House
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Fisher 129: Endowed Chair Lecture–“Nano-Bio Hybrids: Materials Never Introduced to Each Other by Nature,” by Craig Friedrich, Robbins Endowed Chair in Sustainable Design and Manufacturing
- 4 p.m., Campus Mall: Homecoming Parade
- 5:30 p.m., Hancock Beach: Cardboard boat races
- 7 p.m., MacInnes Student Ice Arena: Alumni vs. students broomball tournament
Saturday, Oct. 2
- 1 p.m., Sherman Field: Football–Huskies vs. Ohio Dominican University
- 7:07 p.m., MacInnes Student Ice Arena: Hockey—Huskies vs. Nipissing University*
* Immediately after hockey game, MacInnes Student Ice Arena Alumni vs. students broomball tournament championship
Published in Tech Today.