BSME Flow Charts

  • See an Academic Advisor if you have questions.
  • Switch to this flow chart from the purple one if you started in academic year 2014-15 and began in MA 1032, and you plan on Senior Design.
  • See Academic Advisor if you have questions
  • Switch to this flow chart from the purple one if you started in academic year 2014-15 and began in MA 1032, and you plan on joining an Enterprise team.
  • If you started prior to Fall 2015 and were using a purple flow chart, you should switch over to using the yellow or tan flow charts.
• This is the same as the green flowchart with a semester added for preparatory courses.
• If you start in MA1030 or MA 1031, see an Academic Advisor.
• See an Academic Advisor if you have questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I register on BanWeb and what if I need a waiver?
  2. Joining an Enterprise
  3. When and how can I add/drop classes?  What is a ‘W’ grade?
  4. How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration.
  5. Transferring credits from elsewhere
  6. Repeating a Course
  7. Academic Probation & Suspension
  8. Feeling stressed. What can I do?
  9. Contacts for Filled Sections – By Department
  10. ME versus MET
  11. Study Abroad
  12. ROTC Academic Plans (AF Form 48, AR Form 104R)
  13. Co-op credits
  14. Thinking of graduate school?
  15. Looking for Undergraduate Research?
  16. Am I ready to take Senior Capstone Design (SCD – MEEM4901/4911) or Enterprise Senior Design (ENT4950/60)? How are projects defined through the ME-EM department?
  17. Preparing for Graduation & DARS FAQs
  18. Should I take the FE Exam?  When?  How?


Advising Reminders

  • Complete online graduation application two semesters prior to graduation through MyMichiganTech or BanWeb.
  • Graduating next semester? Contact an ME academic advisor to start the process of finalizing your online degree audit.

Fall 2018 Waiting Lists

Click on a course below to access a Google Form to create a waiting list entry for a full MEEM course/section for the Fall 2018 semester.

































Graduate Students – Pre-requisite waiver request forms:


GTPower (for MEEM 5250)





How to change your major or add a major/minor and/or concentration:

Change my major or add a major/minor and/or concentration: Meet with your new advisor. Advisors for each major and minor are listed online.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your proposed major/minor and/or concentration from the department offering the curriculum. See Degree Audits / Minor Audits and/or go to the department website for flowcharts. Find out requirements for declaring your new major regarding GPA, probation status, etc.
  2. Some credits you’ve taken may be applied toward your new curriculum – see the new advisor to confirm your progress towards the new requirements and get any information on possible substitutions.
  3. The new curriculum advisor will handle all course enrollment issues and will register students and/or process waivers as appropriate.
  4. Use this link to see the process to request a change to your major, add/drop a major, add/drop a minor and/or add/drop a concentration. Major add or change requests must be made by 5:00 pm on Wednesday of Week 2 to be effective that semester. Requests made after Wednesday of Week 2 will be effective the following semester.  You may need registration waivers if your request is after this date. Minor or concentration add or change requests will become effective the current semester, regardless of when submitted.  Curriculum drops become effective immediately in the current semester. If you are interested in getting a dual degree you should first express your interest to the additional major’s advisor.  For Mechanical Engineering, adding a major is almost never a double major you should request to add a dual degree.
  5. All add or change requests require advisor approval. Please feel free to contact the advisor of the major/minor/concentration you are adding PRIOR TO using the request system.
  6. A minor requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of course work, but the actual number required varies by specific curricula. Of the minimum 18 credits required, at least 9 credits of the 3000-level or higher courses must be taken at Michigan Tech (not transfer credits). Students interested in adding a minor to their degree program must consult an academic advisor for their major as well as the minor advisor. It is a good idea to provide a copy of the minor audit, showing the planned completion of that curriculum, to the major advisor. The major advisor can help identify courses that double count and any additional credits that may be necessary.
  7. Declared minors must be completed in order to award the degree associated with a minor. An incomplete minor will delay the awarding of the degree and processing of the diploma (i.e. a degree and associated minor(s) must be completed concurrently). A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for courses completed as part of the minor must be earned in order to award the minor. Minors may be dropped by students to allow the graduation process to proceed and credits may not be shared between multiple minors.
  8. You must declare a minor to receive it, even if all the courses are already completed. The minor must be declared prior to graduation. Enterprise students must declare the enterprise concentration through this process.
  9. Dropping a double major, dual degree, minor or concentration does not require advisor approval
  10. Credits may count towards both your major and minor. Some minor courses are also ME technical electives and some courses are HASS General Education distribution courses. Some may even be specific requirements for your major as well as the minor.
  11. Minors have no minimum additional credit requirements. However, you may need to plan for extra credits if pursuing a minor outside of the ME-EM Dept (e.g. electrical engineering).

Academic Probation & Suspension

Academic Probation

What is it? Academic probation is a strong warning to students that their academic performance is less than that expected by the University. Notices of academic probation are sent to students through email at the end of the semester, when final grades are released.

Please note that probation is retroactive. When a student is notified of academic probation they already have one semester of probation.

How is this determined? A student seeking an undergraduate degree is placed on academic probation under any of the following three conditions:

  • The University cumulative GPA is below 2.00.
  • The GPA for the most recent semester is below 2.00.
  • The cumulative departmental GPA is below 2.00, based on at least 16 credits. For ME students, this means all MEEM credits taken.

What are the consequences? A student on academic probation is not permitted to register for more than 16 credits per semester unless approval is granted by the Dean of Students Office. Academic probation is also an intermediate step toward academic suspension (see below). Financial aid may be impacted as well, contact Michigan Tech Student Financial Services to inquire about consequences specific to your aid package.

What can be done? When does probation end? See an advisor to develop a plan that may include repeating courses (see FAQ #6) and taking fewer classes. 1st year students must see an advisor once they are placed on probation. Failure to do so will result in a hold placed on your account.

A student is removed from academic probation (back to good academic standing) when all of the following conditions have been met:

  • The University cumulative GPA is 2.00 or greater.
  • The GPA for the most recently completed semester is 2.00 or greater.
  • The cumulative departmental GPA is 2.00 or greater, based on at least 16 credits.

Academic Suspension

What is it? A specified period of time where a student will not be permitted to enroll at the University

How is this determined? The following are grounds for academic suspension:

  • The student earns a semester GPA of 0.0 while attempting 12 or more credits, or
  • The student’s cumulative GPA is below 2.0 after one semester of academic probation, or
  • The student does not achieve good academic standing (i.e. not on probation) after two semesters of probation regardless of the cumulative GPA.

What are the consequences? This depends upon how many times the student has been placed on academic suspension and how well the student performs upon return:

  • Upon receiving a first notice of academic suspension, a student must sit out for at least one semester, plus a summer. That is, a student suspended at the end of a fall semester may not reenroll until the following fall, and a student suspended at the end of a spring semester may not reenroll until the following spring. A student suspended at the end of summer, however, may enroll the following spring.
  • Upon receiving a second notice of academic suspension, a student must sit out for two semesters, plus a summer.
  • After returning from a second suspension, failure to achieve good academic standing (i.e. not on probation) or show substantial academic progress within one semester will result in academic dismissal. There is no opportunity for reinstatement after academic dismissal; however, a student may request an appeal (see below)

What can be done? The University has a reinstatement process in place for students returning from suspension as well as a suspension and dismissal appeals process.

Suspension appeals must be received prior to the start of the preceding semester. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the dean of students by accessing the appeal form through the academic standing link in MyMichiganTech.

Reinstatement requests must be made 6 weeks in advance of the start date of the planned return semester. To request reinstatement, students must follow the procedure on MyMichiganTech.  The reinstatement request form is accessed by clicking on the academic standing link in the “Current Student” tab. This form will ask a series of questions regarding goals, previous academic history and future plans for improvement. Students will also be asked to submit a letter of recommendation/performance review from their current employer, a transcript for any courses taken during the suspension period (see FAQ #5 for how to transfer coursework completed at other institutions to Michigan Tech) and a three-semester academic plan developed in conjunction with an ME academic advisor.

More information about these processes can be found here.