Looking for impactful ways to celebrate Earth Day this year? On April 16-23, Michigan Tech is hosting a week-long celebration offering many opportunities to get involved and learn about sustainability in your community! Check out the flyer and a full list of events with descriptions below.
- Waste Reduction Drive – Saturday, April 16, 9am – 3pm @ SDC Participate in the Keweenaw’s 3rd Annual Waste Reduction Drive by collecting laundry detergent containers, old socks, dental products, egg cartons, plastic bags & plastic film, old writing utensils, and razors & blades. There is a rolling collection for plastic bags, writing utensils, and razors in four locations: McNair, Wads, library, and downtown. The one-time collection for all 7 items will occur at the SDC. Event hosted by the Sustainability Demonstration House, contact Abbey Herndon at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Clothing Swap – Monday April 18, Noon – 4pm @ Library Do you enjoy upcycling your clothing? Stop by the clothing swap to check out our gently used and donated items. You never know what you might find! Event hosted by the Students for Sustainability, contact Lydia Wilson at email@example.com for more information.
- Discussion on Sustainable Careers and Professional Development – Monday April 18, 6:30pm @ Fisher 132 and Virtual Event. Members from Michigan Tech’s Career Services, the Director of Sustainability and Resilience, as well as faculty from the Department of Social Science’s will participate in a moderated panel to discuss career paths in sustainability, with dedicated time for questions from attendees. Event Hosted by ASPEN, contact Zoe Ketola at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virtual event link: https://michigantech.zoom.us/j/85168005535
- Presentation of Sustainability Awards – Tuesday, April 19 Noon – 1pm @ MUB Find out the winners of the 2022 Sustainability Awards and learn about sustainability initiatives at Michigan Tech from Alan Turnquist! Event hosted by the Office of Sustainability and Resilience, contact Alan Turnquist at email@example.com for more information.
- Sustainable Living Forum – Tuesday April 19, 6pm @ Fisher 101 and Virtual Event. Ever wondered what it’s like to live and travel out of a van? Hear tips, tricks, and ask someone who has done it sustainably and successfully! Event hosted by the Students for Sustainability, contact Sidney Mechling at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virtual event link: https://michigantech.zoom.us/j/88094490554
- Earth Day Art & Music Festival – Wednesday April 20, 2-6pm @ Husky Plaza (MUB Commons if bad weather) Listen to local music, meet with sustainability-related enterprises and student organizations, admire earth-themed artwork, make a poster for the Climate March, and learn about ways to become involved! Event is scheduled to take place in the Husky Plaza with a rainy-day location in the MUB commons. Event hosted by Keweenaw Youth Climate Action, contact Elise Rosky at email@example.com for more information.
- Line 5 Presentation and Forum – Tuesday April 21, 6-7pm @ Fisher 138 and Virtual Event Join us for a public forum with Line 5 activists Arthur Hirsch & Susan Holcombe (members of the Lansing Climate Reality Chapter) and Gary Street (an MTU alum) who will dive into the history of Line 5, the current status of Line 5, and how Line 5 affects the Upper Peninsula. Presenters will be tuning in virtually, patrons can attend in person or on Zoom. Event hosted by the Climate Reality Campus Corps, contact Kendra Lachcik at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virtual event link: https://michigantech.zoom.us/j/81094555102
- Refill UP Collab – Friday April 22, 10am-2pm @ Library Spin the wheel on the 1st floor of the Library for a chance to win a prize from “the Keweenaw’s first zero waste refillery” located in Hancock, MI. Event hosted by the Students for Sustainability, contact Arika Booms at email@example.com for more information.
- Earth Day Dinner – Friday April 22, 4-7pm @ McNair Dining Hall Join us for the 2nd annual Earth Day Dinner! 90% of the food served in McNair Dining Hall will be plant-based and 100% of the food and paper waste generated at the dinner will be diverted from the landfill. Some menu items include Buffalo Chickpea Quesadillas, Red Lentil Curry, and Portobello Mushroom Burgers. Wads will have more plant-based options and a waste diversion station. Event hosted by the Sustainability Demonstration House, contact Kendra Lachcik at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Climate Action March against Line 5 – Saturday April 23, 4-6pm @ Veterans Memorial Park Join the Keweenaw Youth Climate Action group in a march against Line 5. Meet at Veterans Memorial Park in Houghton at 4pm. A sign making session will take place at the Art & Music Festival on April 20th. Contact Gabriel Ahrendt at email@example.com for more information.