How to join an enterprise:
1. How many semesters do you have remaining at Tech, on campus?
2. Use special approval Waiver form for permission to enroll-see enterprise advisor:
BMSE – Blue Marble Security – Dr. Glen Archer, EERC 629
WCE – Wireless Communication – Mr. Kit Cischke, EERC 520
HEVE – Hybrid Electric Vehicle – Dr. John Lukowski, EERC 233 or Mr. Robert Page, MEEM 604A
RSE – Robotic Systems – Dr. Glen Archer, EERC 629
ASE – Aerospace – Dr. Brad King, MEEM 1014 (NO Waiver Needed to register!)
The Enterprise Enrollment guide link will help you figure out how many semesters you have remaining at Tech, following the pre-req chains and know which course number to enroll in: (see me if you need help figuring this out) EERC 131
ENT4950 Registration – Complete two forms
ECE Department rules for completing Engineering Design Requirements in the enterprise program. Complete: ENT3950, ENT3960, ENT4950, then ENT4960.
- If you to take a semester off to co-op or study abroad, do it before you take ENT4950.
- Your last year of project work in enterprise must be consecutive semesters to apply to senior design requirements.
- ENT4950 and ENT4960 need to be in the same enterprise.
Plan carefully and plan well in advance of graduation. Pre-requisites required for senior-level project work (4000 level):
EE Majors: complete EE3901 and EE3131 before enrolling in ENT4950. Take EE3171 before or in same semester as ENT4950.
CpE Majors: complete EE3901 and EE3131 before enrolling in ENT4950. Take EE3173 before or in same semester as ENT4950.
For ABET accreditation standards, you may join any enterprise at Tech that will provide you with an appropriate project work and responsibilities to meet design standards in ENT4950 and ENT4960:
EE Majors: must apply EE knowledge and skills in engineering design
CpE Majors: must apply hardware/software integration skills in engineering design
CpE/EE Double Majors: apply EE knowledge/skills and hardware/software integration skills in engineering design
CpE and EE majors can study in Cergy, France, in Spring of junior year! Core 3rd-year courses are offered that can apply to your MTU degree. Apply for the France American Exchange Program (FAME) at the study abroad office in the Admin Building – room 200. Application deadline is October 15th.
Plan both Fall and Spring semesters for next year if you’d like the option to go to France next Spring. Are you ready to skip a Houghton Winter?
Students on track with the 4-year plan may be able to stay on the 4-year plan:
Sample EE flowchart 2014-15 (applies to students who began Fall 2014, but others will be similar)
Sample CpE flowchart 2014-15
Electronic Circuits; Lab —————————- EE3131 4 cr
Computer Arch. & Intro to Microprocessors EE3171 3 cr, EE’s only. Make up 1 cr with EE elective.
Algorithms & Design Analysis ——————— No CS credit; May sub for CS4321 on CpE degree.
Operating Systems ———————————- No CS credit; May use as technical elective on CpE degree.
Signals and Systems ——————————– EE3160 3 cr
Fundamentals of Power Engineering ——— EE4219 2 cr (2 credit EE elective or CpE tech elective)
Probability and Statistics ————————-MA4760 3 (EE’s may use in place of EE3180; CpEs may use for MA3710; CAUTION: may not be well prepared for our EE3250)
Communications Systems ———————— EE3250 3 cr
French language and Culture (beg,int,adv) —- 3 cr Awaiting evaluation – IPS/Gen Ed (HASS?)
- Save 3 credits of HASS-HU/FA (not 2nd year HUFA) for France
- EE’s consider EE3250 in France if you decide to take Probability and Statistics in France
- Take substitution for EE3901 the Fall of 3rd year. (ENG4300(smr) or (ENT3964(smr,fall) + ENT3958(fall)))
- Re-plan your junior year considering the courses you’d like to take in France.
FAME program website
For details on application, airfare, cost, etc…see Vienna Chapin in the Study Abroad Office – Admin 200
1. First-year and new Transfer Student who began Fall 2015 or Spring 2016:
- Computer Engineers – Video – Slides w/Links
- Electrical Engineers – Video – Slides w/Links – Handout (Checklist, Enterprise, Concentrations)
2. Sophomores and Beyond: Prepare for 3rd/4th year:
- Computer Engineers – coming soon
- Electrical Engineers – Slides .pdf with links to advising topics; SO-JR Handout
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click the academic year you began at Tech to view your current or past First-Year Spring Advising Meeting.
Click the academic year you are/were in the sophomore/junior ECE courses to view your 2nd Spring Advising meetings (Sophomore and Beyond).
Beginning Fall 2016, EE3180 is the prerequisite course for EE3250, Communication Theory. Update your flowchart or print an updated flowchart from the EE Advising page.
Move EE3250 into a semester after you complete EE3180. Most flowcharts showed both EE3180 and EE3250 in semester six. Switch EE3250 with an elective from semester 7 or 8.
This ECE Concentrations .pdf document contains a one-page planning guide for each concentration.
- Biomedical Applications
- Environmental Applications
- Electric Power Engineering (begins Fall 2016)
1. CS1142 or ( CS1141 + CS1040) is now the prerequisite for CS3421. Details.
2. CpE’s using catalog year 201208 may substitute other math/sci credits for PH2400, such as MA3160, CH1150/51, or MA3202/3.
3. CpE majors using catalog years prior to 2013 must take one HASS elective from the “CpE HASS” list.
4. Valid course substitutions for CS3911, Numerical Methods. Applies to degree requirements prior to 2012.
If you took CS1141 by end of spring/summer 2016, AND plan to take CS3421, Computer Organization Fall 2016 or later, then take CS1040, Assembly Programming, spring, summer or fall 2016.
If you complete(d) both CS1141 and CS3421 by spring 2016, you do not need CS1040.
If you take both CS1142 & CS3421 after spring 2016, you do not need to take CS1040.
As of Fall 2016, CS1141 becomes CS1142 and the prerequisite for CS3421. After completion of CS1122 or CS1131, you can take CS1142 and then CS3421 the following semester.
Beginning Fall 2016:
CS1142 , 3 credits, replaces CS1141 + 1 cr CS3421. The title is “Programming at the Hardware/Software Interface”.
CS3421 becomes 3 credits (was 4 cr.) The prerequisite is CS1142(was CS1122 or 1131).