If I get a CD or D in my math class, do I have to retake it?

We recommend retaking any math classes in which you’ve earned less than a C because these are important for your junior and senior engineering classes. However, you are not required to take it again because it meets our minimum prerequisite requirement.  

Be aware that you will start utilizing what you’ve learned in your math, chemistry, and physics classes in your ChE classes and applying it to solve various engineering problems.  In particular, the application of math to solve engineering problems intensifies in the junior year classes. Students usually struggle with this, even if they have previously done well in their math classes because it’s using math in an entirely different context.  It looks different, the terminology is sometimes different, and you’re being asked to recall concepts that you learned a year (or longer!) ago.  

In general it is probably worth your time to brush up on calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations prior to starting the junior year ChE classes.  Retaking classes you did poorly in, reviewing course topics and note from your math classes (even ones you did well in), and/or utilizing online resources, like Khan Academy, are all a good idea.

See also: What happens if I retake a class? and How can I succeed in ChE at Michigan Tech?

Comments Closed