Category: Courses

I’m enrolled in UN 1010 Creating Your Success for Themed Communities. Why am I in this class? Do I have to take it?

You are enrolled in the class because you chose to lived in a themed housing community in the residence halls. Yes, you are required to take the class as part of being in a themed community. This class can count towards your free electives, if needed. Go to the Residence Hall Themed Communities page for more information.

What is the spatial visualization placement test and what happens if I don’t do well on it?

The spacial visualization placement test measures your ability to mentally visualize a 3-D object from different perspectives. New first-year students will take this test during Orientation. These skills are important because engineers must often represent things in the physical world using diagrams and drawings when communicating information and ideas to others. As a chemical engineering student you will use these skills when studying stereochemistry in organic chemistry and when working in the unit operations lab.

If you’ve already spent a lot of time working with your hands, such as playing with Legos or working on your bike or car, then you’ve probably already developed these skills and will do fine on the test. If you don’t do well on the test, then you’re in luck because these skills are learnable! To help you build these skills you will be enrolled in a one credit course, ENG 1002 Introduction to Spatial Visualization.

I have credit for College Physics (PH 1110/1120). Is this the same as University Physics (PH 2100/2200)?

No, these are not the same classes, but they are similar. College Physics are algebra-based physics classes, where as University Physics are calculus-based physics classes. Your chemical engineering degree requires the University Physics courses.

If you already have credit for College Physics you will still need to take University Physics or you will need to contact the physics department to see about receiving placement credit for University Physics. Go to FAQ: I have transfer credit for the wrong physics course! for more information on placement credit.

I’m enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Can I change to CH 1150 University Chemistry?

Maybe. Students who are placed into precalculus are automatically enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Introductory chemistry is for students who didn’t take chemistry in high school or who need to review chemistry fundamentals before enrolling in University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153).

If you are enrolled in precalculus or higher (MA 1032 or MA 1120 or higher) AND received a B or better in high school algebra AND a B or better in high school chemistry then you may change to University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153). Contact your academic advisor to request this change.

If it has been awhile since you’ve taken chemistry or you are unsure of which chemistry class you should start in then go to the Chemistry Department’s first-year chemistry page. They have a lot of good information available to help guide your decision.

Which math class should I take next?

Staying on track with your math classes is very important because you will need to be done with all of your required math classes before you can start the junior-level chemical engineering courses.

If you came in with credit for some of your required math classes then this is very helpful because it allows you to move forward with your math more quickly and will give you some flexibility in your class schedule down the road.

  • If you have completed calculus I (MA 1160 or MA 1161) then take calculus II (MA 2160) or linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330).
  • If you have completed calculus I and II (MA 1160/1161 and MA 2160) then take multivariable calculus (MA 3160) or linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330) or linear algebra/differential equations (MA 2321 and MA 3521)
  • If you have completed calculus I and II and multivariable calculus (MA 1160/1161, MA 2160, MA 3160) then take linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330) or linear algebra/differential equations (MA 2321 and MA 3521).
  • If you have completed calculus I and II, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra (MA 1160/1161, MA 2160, MA 3160, MA 2320/2330) then take differential equations (MA 3520 or MA 3530 or MA 3560).

There are several options with the linear algebra and differential equations courses. Go to FAQ: Which linear algebra and differential equations classes should I take?

I’ve been placed into precalculus (MA 1032 or MA 1120) but would like to start in calculus. Can I challenge my math placement?

Yes. If you have been placed in a math class below calculus then you can take a math placement test to try to move to a more advanced course. The math placement test can place you as high as calculus I. The test is called ALEKS and information on taking it is on the Math’s Department webpage.

If you plan to take the placement test then you should do so as soon as possible because your math course determines the rest of your first semester schedule.