The General Education requirements for all degrees at Michigan Tech are the same, and they are most accurately explained on the Registrar’s General Education web page. Please go there or attend an advising meeting to have the details of the General Education requirements explained. We recently made a video guiding you through the General Education process for Chemical Engineers. The ECE deparment’s advisor Judy Donahue also has a General Education video on YouTube you may find helpful (she shows a bit how Gen Ed looks on DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System, in Banweb)).
There a few aspects of Gen Ed that you should keep in mind:
1. The rules can and do change; you must follow the rules that apply to you. Your rules are the ones that are associated with your catalog year, that is, the year you started at Michigan Tech. Your catalog year is listed on your Banner DARS page.
2. Not all Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences courses count as HASS electives. You must choose your HASS electives from the supplied lists and follow the prescriptions associated with the list.
3. Not all physical education classes count as co-curriculars.
4. Six credits of your HASS credits must be at the upper division level (3000+).
4. Failure to follow the General Education rules will prevent you from being awarded your degree. Please think ahead and choose your courses to comply with the University’s Gen Ed requirements.