No. Since there is a common first year (year and a half) program, all engineering students, regardless of their major, will take the same classes during the first year. In addition, the advisors in Engineering Fundamentals meet with students throughout the year to discuss selecting courses and selecting an engineering major.
The first year or year and a half is common for all engineering programs depending on math readiness (see semester schedules above). With the help of an academic advisor in Engineering Fundamentals (email@example.com), students that still have not decided by the time they complete the first year program, may be able to take common classes for another one or two semesters. Note: this may extend the date of graduation depending on which major is finally chosen.
No. Students with Advanced Placement (AP) and/or dual enrollment credits will be placed into the next appropriate class. Any students with AP and/or dual enrollment credits should meet with their advisor to confirm their semester schedule and discuss creating a graduation plan.
If you have advanced placement (AP) and/or dual enrollment credit, you will be placed into the next appropriate course. For example, if you have credit for Calculus I, you will be placed into Calculus II.
Michigan Tech will register all freshman engineering students for their classes in mid-July. Then, during orientation, students will have the opportunity to add or switch classes as needed.
- What is Engineering Fundamentals
- Who has their home in Engineering Fundamentals
- Common First-Year for all engineering students?
- What classes will I be taking
- Laptop requirement for incoming students
- What is Spatial Visualization?
- When do I register for my first semester at Michigan Tech
- If I have AP will I need to take the course again
- If I have AP will I lose my head-start if I start in General/Undecided Engineering
- Does starting out in MA1032 put me behind
- When do I need to choose my engineering major
- What engineering degree programs are offered at Michigan Tech
- How do I change my major?
- Is there a disadvantage in starting out in General/Undecided Engineering