Michigan Tech Dining Services is partnering with Consumers Product Manufacturing to implement a returnable container program. CPM is working with the reusable container brand, Mr. Lid, to reduce campus waste associated with food. Together, we are implementing the use of these containers in the Memorial Union Building to reduce the amount of single-use plastics being thrown away.
This program is currently set to launch March 8, the week after Spring Break.
CPM members will be in the MUB most days during lunch hours to offer a chance to ask questions about the program or to buy in early. Once the program launches in the MUB, you will be able to buy in at the register.
For more questions, please contact CPM Student Karen Helppi, firstname.lastname@example.org
How it works:
- Buy into the program with a one-time $5 Program Fee
- Receive one of 50 program key-chains
- At the time of check-out for your food at the North Coast Cafe (MUB), you will hand the cashier the keychain.
- At this time, the cashier applies a 10% discount to your food.
- You receive in return, your food in a reusable container
- Once you are ready to return the container (this can be at any time), you hand the North Coast Cafe cashier the dirty container and receive your keychain in return.
- The returned Mr.Lid is washed and sanitized by the MUB’s commercial dishwashers to be reused.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for the rest of your collegiate career!