Category: FAQs

Procedures for Registration Forms (Waivers)

Registration forms help students gain necessary approval from their academic advisor or instructor, and register that approval with the Registrar’s Office. These forms can be found on the Registrar’s Website:

  1. Grading Option/Credit Change Form
  2. Overload Permission Form (taking more than 18 credits)
  3. Special Approval/Restriction Waiver (pre-req, co-req, major, level, class restriction)
  4. Time/Exam Conflict Permission Form

Repeating Courses

One of the easiest ways to improve your GPA is by repeating courses.

  • If you fail a required course, you will have repeat and pass the class to meet degree requirement.
  • Students may repeat a course no more than two times.
  • Students may repeat courses with a grade of CD or lower.
  • When a course is repeated, any credit previously earned under the course number is forfeited and the transcript will indicate NR (no grade – repeated) for the earlier attempt.
  • The most recent grade is used in your GPA calculation.  Even if it is lower than the first.
  • Special permission from the Office of Student Affairs and your academic advisor is required to repeat a course a 2nd and final time.

Transferring Credits Into Michigan Tech

Transfer Credits: If you would like to take classes elsewhere and transfer them to MTU, use the online Transfer Equivalency system to look up classes.

  • Choose courses that will transfer to an equivalent course at MTU that are required for your degree.
  • To access list of courses already approved for transfer use the Michigan Tech Transfer Equivalency System.
  • If the course you are looking for is NOT on the Transfer Credit Equivalency list, you can request to have it evaluated for transfer credit by sending this information to the  MTU Transfer Services Office (Jean Burich), Admin Bldg 130, for each course:  (or email,  or call 487-3323)
  1. University or college name
  2. Course ID and title


Students in Civil and Environmental Engineering may participate in the Enterprise Program to fulfill senior design requirements.  Enterprises are student-led companies embracing rich experiences in engineering design, team building, project management, and end-to-end original product development. Just as in Senior Design, Enterprise teams work under the direction of a faculty advisor.

The program gives teams of students from varied disciplines the opportunity to work for several semesters in a business-like setting to solve real-world engineering problems supplied by industry partners.

Students must join an Enterprise Team that is relevant to their engineering discipline (civil or environmental engineering).   Students interested in an Enterprise must  talk with the Civil & Environmental Engineering Academic Advisor.

How to change majors or add minors

Change major

Meet with your new advisor.

  1. Find out the latest requirements for your chosen major from the department offering the major. See Degree Audits or go to the department website for flowcharts. Find out requirements for joining the department regarding GPA, probation, etc…
  2. Some credits you’ve taken may be applied toward new major – see advisor for new major.
  3. To update your major, please review the Curriculum Change Portlet Tutorial and login to MyMichiganTech.