What are Katie’s current office hours?

If you are looking for advising handouts, these are available on the Advising Handouts webpage.

If you are having registration problems, go to the Registrar’s Office (aka Student Services Center) in the Admin building.

Also check out our FAQ’s on the right hand side of the page for answers to many common questions.

Now through Week 8:

Use your Google account to schedule an appointment. Don’t know how to do this? Go to: How do I make an appointment with a chemical engineering advisor?

This semester I am usually available Monday-Wednesday 9:30am-3pm.  My Google calendar will be updated if there is any change to this schedule.  Third week through seventh week is the best time to schedule an appointment for assistance with long term planning such as scheduling future classes around a minor, co-op, or study abroad.

Beginning Thursday, October 30th (Week 9) through Wednesday, November 12th (Week 11) I will be having walk-in office hours to assist students with spring and summer registration. No appointments are needed.  The schedule for walk-in hours are listed below.

Early Registration (Week 9):

Day Date Walk-in Hours
Monday 10/27 By Appointment
Tuesday 10/28 By Appointment
Wednesday 10/29 By Appointment
Thursday 10/30 9:30am-12:30pm
Friday 10/31 9:30am-12:30pm

First Week of Registration (Week 10):

Day Date Walk-in Hours
Monday 11/3 1pm-3pm
Tuesday 11/4 9:30am-12:30pm
Wednesday 11/5 1pm-3pm
Thursday 11/6 10am-12:30pm
Friday 11/7 9:30am-noon

Second Week of Registration (Week 11):

Day Date Walk-in Hours
Monday 11/10 1pm-3pm
Tuesday 11/11 9:30am-12:30pm
Wednesday 11/12 1pm-3pm
Thursday 11/13 Not Available
Friday 11/14 Not Available

Week 12 through the end of the semester:

I will resume regular office hours during the twelfth week of classes.   Use your Google account to schedule an appointment. Don’t know how to do this? Go to: How do I make an appointment with a chemical engineering advisor?


What do my college’s courses transfer as at Michigan Tech?

The best bet to address this question is to go to the Transfer Services website and use their Transfer Equivalency link to check which classes transfer as what from your school to Michigan Tech.

The trifold that lays out the most common plan for transfer students is discussed in another link in this blog on the course plans for transfer students.

If your school or the courses  you are interested in are not covered in the transfer equivalency system, then you will need to have each proposed course evaluated by the department at Michigan Tech that covers that subject.  Please collect two things: 1) course description from the school catalog, and 2) course syllabus from the professor.  These two items should be sent to Transfer Services with a request to have them evaluated by the appropriate department.  This process takes several weeks usually, so please plan ahead.

Have a successful semester!

I’ve been enrolled in “EH 3000 Master Student Athlete.” What’s that?

The EH 3000 course is a course related to your status as a varsity athlete.  This course does not count towards co-curricular requirements, but it can count as a free elective (1 credit).  The semester you are competing in your sport, you will be enrolled (by the Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology Department) into the appropriate varsity sport class.  The varsity sports classes count as 1 credit of co-curricular credit towards your degree.  If you have more questions, contact the Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology Department.

I am a transfer student; do I have to take the first-year engineering courses?

The first-year engineering and chemical-engineering courses are required for graduation with a B.S. in chemical engineering.  For transfer students, however, it is often preferable to substitute courses more appropriate to your experience and educational level.  We have therefore developed a policy to allow transfer students to make substitutions for ENG 1101, ENG 1102, and CM 1000.  The rules are given here.

Students coming in with at least 50 credits and credit through calculus III (MA 3160) have the option to take the first-year engineering
classes (ENG 1101 and ENG 1102 and CM 1000) or to take substitute courses.  An acceptable substitute course for ENG 1101 is a programming course (CS
1121 or CM 3450 are approved).  An acceptable substitute course for ENG 1102 is an engineering course (EE 3010 or MEEM 2110 or ENG 2120 or a CM engineering elective are approved).  An acceptable substitute course for CM 1000 is a CM engineering elective.

  • CS 1121 Introduction to Programming I – 3 credits; the starting point of the computer science program; Fall, Spring, Summer
  • CM 3450 Computer-Aided Problem Solving – 3 credits; alternate Fall semesters (even years)
  • EE 3010 Circuits and Instrumentation – 3 credits; designed for nonmajors; Fall, Spring, Summer
  • MEEM 2110 Statics – 3 credits; Fall, Spring, Summer
  • ENG 2120 Statics-Strength of Materials – 3 credits; Spring

If you have not yet transferred to Michigan Tech, we recommend that you take courses at your home institution that transfer as ENG 1101 and ENG 1102.  The transfer equivalent for ENG 1101 is a computer programming class using an objected-oriented programming language, such as Java or C++.  The transfer equivalent for ENG 1102 is a 3-D solid modeling class using software, such as Solid Works, Unigraphics, or 3-D Autocad.

Should I take CM2110 if I’m a first-year student?

Students who have advanced placement in math and chemistry may consider taking the first two chemical engineering courses, CM2110 Fundamentals of ChE I and CM2120 Fundamentals of ChE II, during their first year at Michigan Tech.  The advantage of taking CM2110 and CM2120 early is that you then may have an easier time fitting a co-op, research, advanced topics, or junior chemical-engineering classes into your second year.  Also, by completing CM2110/CM2120, you get an early experience with chemical-engineering topics and can better decide if this major is for you.  A disadvantage, however, is that you will be taking these courses based on your high school preparation, which may or may not be sufficient to succeed in CM2110.  In addition, taking CM2110/CM2120 in your first year may leave a time gap between when you take these courses and when you take the junior classes, which build on this material.  The junior chemical engineering sequence is challenging; you must have all your math, physics, and most of your chemistry courses completed before you begin the chemical engineering junior course sequence.

The prerequisites for CM2110 are CH1150 University Chemistry I and CH1151 University Chemistry I Laboratory; at a minimum you must have credit for these courses to take CM2110, which is offered in the fall and in the summer.  In addition, the expectation for CM2110 is that you will have problem-solving skills.  In the standard course sequence in our department, students develop problem-solving skills in the first physics class, PH2100 University Physics I, which covers elementary mechanics (force equals mass times displacement).  If you are considering taking CM2110 but you have not yet completed PH2100, you may find that the problem solving tasks in CM2110 are challenging, especially later in the course.  If you had a strong physics program in high school, however, you are likely ready for the problem-solving in CM2110.

If you have credit for the following and received an A or a B in these classes, you are a candidate for taking CM2110 during your first year (* indicates that I  recommend you to complete this course before taking CM2110, but the course is not a prerequisite):

  • MA1160 Calculus with Technology I*
  • MA2160 Calculus with Technology II*
  • CH1150 University Chemistry I (prerequisite)
  • PH2100 University Physics I*

You do not need an advisor’s or instructor’s permission to enroll in CM2110; if you have the prereqs, you may sign up during orientation.  The course is offered with an online section to allow students who have a time conflict to watch videos in lieu of attending the on-campus lectures.

If you have questions about your particular case and whether you should take CM2110, please talk to an advisor during orientation or contact the CM2110 instructor, Dr. King (jaking@mtu.edu).  Dr. King is a strong advocate of advanced students taking CM2110 in the first year.


May I minor in business?

Unfortunately, Michigan Tech does not offer a minor in business administration.  You may minor in economics (see the Registrar’s webpage), or you may prepare yourself for the masters in business administration (MBA).  Contact the MBA advisor to find out the current requirements for admission to the Michigan Tech MBA program. In recent times prerequisites have included having taken the following as an undergraduate:

  • Accounting Principles I (BA2300 or BA2330 or equivalent)
  • Economics Principles (EC2001 or equivalent)
  • Economic Decision Analysis (EC3400 or equivalent OR Finance (BA3400)
  • Statistics (BA2100 or MA2720 or equivalent)

Another way to pursue your interest in business is to double major (or become dual degree) in business.  For details, please contact the undergraduate advisor for the School of Business and Economics.

What should I do if I’m interested in graduate school?

If you are interested in graduate school, you should talk to professors in the research area that interests you.  Ask them to discuss graduate school with you and see if this is in fact the right path for you.  You could also come see an advisor.

You can get information about Michigan Tech’s graduate school on their website.

One final note: please fill out a FERPA permission form for anybody who writes you a letter of recommendation based on your academic record.

Where can I find info on industrial safety?

From C&EN, May 20, 2013:

Dow Chemical has launched a laboratory safety website that includes a comprehensive set of training videos and additional resources, the company announced on May 19.

Publicly accessible at http://safety.dow.com, the website incorporates 30 professionally produced videos. Several more are still in production. Pankaj Gupta, a research and development leader in Dow’s oil, gas, and mining business, unveiled the site at the Council for Chemical Research annual meeting being held this week in Arlington, Va.

“It appears to have a lot of very good resources, and we will look at them very carefully,” says Peter Ashbrook, director of the division of research safety at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “I think Dow should be commended for putting this material out for public consumption.”

How can I succeed in ChE at Michigan Tech?

Thanks for asking!  We have a whole handout on that.  The main idea is this:

Build a good foundation in math, physics, and chemistry (C or better).

It takes a long time to get to junior classes in chemical engineering, and yet it is only really in those junior classes that you will use much of the preparation that you are building.  In the fall junior classes we use:  calc 1, calc 2, calc 3****, differential equations, physics 1, and freshman chemistry.  Thus, it is important to build a good foundation.

Another good tool to look at as you plan your college experience is the prerequisite map for chemical engineering courses.  The interdependence of the chemical engineering courses with the foundation courses is clear from the course prerequisites for the chemical engineering classes.