I’m enrolled in UN 1010 Creating Your Success for Themed Communities. Why am I in this class? Do I have to take it?

You are enrolled in the class because you chose to lived in a themed housing community in the residence halls. Yes, you are required to take the class as part of being in a themed community. This class can count towards your free electives, if needed. Go to the Residence Hall Themed Communities page for more information.

What is the spatial visualization placement test and what happens if I don’t do well on it?

The spacial visualization placement test measures your ability to mentally visualize a 3-D object from different perspectives. New first-year students will take this test during Orientation. These skills are important because engineers must often represent things in the physical world using diagrams and drawings when communicating information and ideas to others. As a chemical engineering student you will use these skills when studying stereochemistry in organic chemistry and when working in the unit operations lab.

If you’ve already spent a lot of time working with your hands, such as playing with Legos or working on your bike or car, then you’ve probably already developed these skills and will do fine on the test. If you don’t do well on the test, then you’re in luck because these skills are learnable! To help you build these skills you will be enrolled in a one credit course, ENG 1002 Introduction to Spatial Visualization.

I have completed UN 1015 Composition and UN 1025 Global Issues. Which general education class should I take next?

Once you have completed both UN 1015 Composition and UN 1025 Global Issues (or a 3000-level modern language course) then you can take the remaining general education core and HASS courses in any order.

Before choosing your next general education class, review the general education requirements and figure out where classes you’ve already taken are counting. General education requirements are described on the department’s degree requirements page and the Registrar’s Office general education page. Then run your online degree audit on Banweb to see if your classes are being used where expected. If a class isn’t going where expected then contact your academic advisor to figure out why. For new students, online degree audits are available 30 days before the start of the semester.

Is it ok to take UN 1025 Global Issues before UN 1015 Composition?

Yes. You may take these classes in either order.

These two classes should be among the first general education classes that you complete. It’s important to get both UN 1015 Composition and UN 1025 Global Issues (or a 3000-level modern language course) completed early because they are prerequisites for later general education HASS electives. Also, UN 1015 Composition is a prerequisite for the junior chemical engineering laboratory CM 3215 Transport Lab because it is a writing intensive course.

I have credit for College Physics (PH 1110/1120). Is this the same as University Physics (PH 2100/2200)?

No, these are not the same classes, but they are similar. College Physics are algebra-based physics classes, where as University Physics are calculus-based physics classes. Your chemical engineering degree requires the University Physics courses.

If you already have credit for College Physics you will still need to take University Physics or you will need to contact the physics department to see about receiving placement credit for University Physics. Go to FAQ: I have transfer credit for the wrong physics course! for more information on placement credit.

I’m enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Can I change to CH 1150 University Chemistry?

Maybe. Students who are placed into precalculus are automatically enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Introductory chemistry is for students who didn’t take chemistry in high school or who need to review chemistry fundamentals before enrolling in University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153).

If you are enrolled in precalculus or higher (MA 1032 or MA 1120 or higher) AND received a B or better in high school algebra AND a B or better in high school chemistry then you may change to University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153). Contact your academic advisor to request this change.

If it has been awhile since you’ve taken chemistry or you are unsure of which chemistry class you should start in then go to the Chemistry Department’s first-year chemistry page. They have a lot of good information available to help guide your decision.