Tag: new students

Is it ok to take UN 1025 Global Issues before UN 1015 Composition?

Yes. You may take these classes in either order.

These two classes should be among the first general education classes that you complete. It’s important to get both UN 1015 Composition and UN 1025 Global Issues (or a 3000-level modern language course) completed early because they are prerequisites for later general education HASS electives. Also, UN 1015 Composition is a prerequisite for the junior chemical engineering laboratory CM 3215 Transport Lab because it is a writing intensive course.

I have credit for College Physics (PH 1110/1120). Is this the same as University Physics (PH 2100/2200)?

No, these are not the same classes, but they are similar. College Physics are algebra-based physics classes, where as University Physics are calculus-based physics classes. Your chemical engineering degree requires the University Physics courses.

If you already have credit for College Physics you will still need to take University Physics or you will need to contact the physics department to see about receiving placement credit for University Physics. Go to FAQ: I have transfer credit for the wrong physics course! for more information on placement credit.

I’m enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Can I change to CH 1150 University Chemistry?

Maybe. Students who are placed into precalculus are automatically enrolled in CH 1000 Introductory Chemistry. Introductory chemistry is for students who didn’t take chemistry in high school or who need to review chemistry fundamentals before enrolling in University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153).

If you are enrolled in precalculus or higher (MA 1032 or MA 1120 or higher) AND received a B or better in high school algebra AND a B or better in high school chemistry then you may change to University Chemistry (CH 1150/1151/1153). Contact your academic advisor to request this change.

If it has been awhile since you’ve taken chemistry or you are unsure of which chemistry class you should start in then go to the Chemistry Department’s first-year chemistry page. They have a lot of good information available to help guide your decision.

I’ve been enrolled in or taken a higher-level math class but I don’t have credit for the lower-level math class on my transcript. Does this matter?

Yes, this matters because you need to have credit for all of your required math classes in order to meet graduation requirements. This situation can also negatively impact future class scheduling if you are missing a math prerequisite for a class in which you trying to enroll.

The most common situation where this occurs is when a student receives a marginal score on their AP calculus test. Currently, if you receive a 3 on the calculus AB test, you are allowed to enroll in calculus II (MA 2160) but you will not receive credit for calculus I unless you receive a C or better in calculus II. There are similar rules for the AP calculus BC test. Go to the Admissions AP, IB, and CLEP Scores page for the latest information on these requirements. They are listed on the required scores page for AP credit.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are missing credit for a required math class then contact your academic advisor ASAP for assistance in resolving this issue.

Which math class should I take next?

Staying on track with your math classes is very important because you will need to be done with all of your required math classes before you can start the junior-level chemical engineering courses.

If you came in with credit for some of your required math classes then this is very helpful because it allows you to move forward with your math more quickly and will give you some flexibility in your class schedule down the road.

  • If you have completed calculus I (MA 1160 or MA 1161) then take calculus II (MA 2160) or linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330).
  • If you have completed calculus I and II (MA 1160/1161 and MA 2160) then take multivariable calculus (MA 3160) or linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330) or linear algebra/differential equations (MA 2321 and MA 3521)
  • If you have completed calculus I and II and multivariable calculus (MA 1160/1161, MA 2160, MA 3160) then take linear algebra (MA 2320 or MA 2330) or linear algebra/differential equations (MA 2321 and MA 3521).
  • If you have completed calculus I and II, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra (MA 1160/1161, MA 2160, MA 3160, MA 2320/2330) then take differential equations (MA 3520 or MA 3530 or MA 3560).

There are several options with the linear algebra and differential equations courses. Go to FAQ: Which linear algebra and differential equations classes should I take?

How do I figure out what my AP/IB/CLEP and dual enrollment/transfer credit count toward?

The class credit you will receive for AP, IB, and CLEP tests are on the Admission’s AP, IB, and CLEP scores webpage.

The class credit you will receive for dual enrollment or transfer credit is on the Registrar’s Office, Transfer Services webpage. Go to the Transfer Credit Information page and the link to the Transfer Equivalency System is at the bottom. The Transfer Equivalency System is a listing of classes that have transferred recently for other students, but is not a list of every class that can transfer. If you don’t see the school or classes that you have taken then it means that the course may need to be evaluated for transfer. You will be contacted by Transfer Services through your mtu.edu email if they need information from you regarding a course you’ve taken.

You can figure out where the classes can be used towards your degree by reviewing the degree requirements. Some courses are required for graduation (like calculus MA 1160 or chemistry CH 1150), some courses can be used towards technical electives (like statistics MA 2710), some courses can be used towards general education requirements (like psychology PSY 2000), and some courses can be used towards free electives. Go to the department’s degree requirements page for more details on these requirements.

I’ve been placed into precalculus (MA 1032 or MA 1120) but would like to start in calculus. Can I challenge my math placement?

Yes. If you have been placed in a math class below calculus then you can take a math placement test to try to move to a more advanced course. The math placement test can place you as high as calculus I. The test is called ALEKS and information on taking it is on the Math’s Department webpage.

If you plan to take the placement test then you should do so as soon as possible because your math course determines the rest of your first semester schedule.