Author: efadvise

Prospective Students Info

View all FAQs for Prospective Students

FE Exam Requirements

All BSE student that are graduating Spring, Summer, or Fall 2012 MUST take the FE exam; this is part of the BSE ABET assessment. In addition, this exam will help you in the process of getting your PE license and advancing your career opportunities.

The FE exams for this calendar year will be:

  • April 14, 2012 (registration will open December 15, 2011 and close some time in February)
  • October 27, 2012 (registration will open in July and close early-September)

If you did not taking the FE exam this fall and are graduating Spring or Summer 2012, you will need to take the exam in the spring.

Engineering Fundamentals will pay the $125 registration fee. If you plan to take the exam this semester, you will need to:

  1. e-mail me at to let me know you plan to take the exam
  2. fill out all the registration material on-line
    • You MUST select Discipline/Major: GENERAL ENGINEERING
  3. see Ms. Cathy Forsman in 112 Dillman by 4pm on Thursday, February 2, 2012 to have Engineering Fundamentals complete the payment

Looking Ahead: Preparing to Get a Job

It’s not too early to start preparing for a summer job; plan ahead for the Michigan Tech Career Fair Spring 2012 by preparing a resume and polishing interview skills.

  • Resume Review: Visit the Career Center to schedule a one-on-one appointment to review your resume from now until February 11, 9am – 5pm.
  • Resume Blitz: Stop in for a quick resume review. In the MUB Commons, 11am-2pm, January 18, 19, 24, and 25. In Douglas Houghton Hall Ballroom and West McNair Lounge, 3-5pm, February 1. In Wadsworth Hall Annex, 3-5pm, February 2.

No Time for Lunch??

Do you have a meal plan with the Residence Hall but skip lunch because you have classes through lunch time? You could get a bag lunch from your dining hall, and here is how it works:

Dining Service provides bag lunches for students in the residence halls that cannot make it to lunch due to their class schedule (note, class schedules will be checked to confirm lunch-time conflicts). To request a lunch, ask any dining services staff person for a Bag Lunch form. To complete the form, you will need to specify service days and pickup times. Bag lunches, which will require a swipe when picked up, include a sandwich of your choice, fruit, chips, yogurt, and cookie. You will need to pick up your bag lunch at your dining hall.

Studying Abroad

Participating in the Study Abroad program can be an exciting and life-changing experience. Studying abroad can be done during the summer, or for one semester or two semesters. Whether you know what country you would like to visit or simply want to know the opportunities available to you, visit the International Programs and Services (IPS) website (
Once you have determined that you want to study abroad, start the process by contacting the IPS office. As long as you plan ahead, courses taken abroad can be used to satisfy your degree requirements and should not impact your graduation date. Coordination is required among the IPS staff, your academic advisor, and other departments to determine course offerings and to get them pre-approved to transfer to Michigan Tech.

Taking Summer Classes

Some students take summer classes at Michigan Tech to replace a grade, to lighten the credits of a future semester(s), or for a great excuse to enjoy the Copper Country summers. Summer 2012 course offerings at Michigan Tech are now available at:
When you are scheduling, please note that some courses run the full summer semester and some run the first or second half of the semester. The dates the course will run are listed on-line when you register. Keep in mind a half-semester course requires the full amount of work in half the time (i.e., the course is taught at an accelerated pace).