A breadcrumb is short text, listed near the top of a webpage in a path format. The breadcrumb provides additional information to the user about where they are within your website and serves as an additional method for navigating the site.
You can customize the breadcrumb the is displayed for your index.pcf page. This field is available on all _props.pcf files.
The breadcrumb text should not repeat words from other breadcrumbs already displayed in the path. For example, if the current breadcrumb path is Admissions > Academics > Degrees and you are adding a new program page, you do not need to include the word “Degree” in the breadcrumbs.
Incorrect: Admissions > Academics > Degrees > Accounting Degree
Correct: Admissions > Academics > Degrees > Accounting
With over half of our traffic using a mobile device, which has a smaller screen than a desktop or laptop, it is important to keep the breadcrumbs concise. Review your breadcrumbs to determine if you can cut out words and shorten them without losing the integrity.
- Open the _props.pcf file for the page.
- Go to Properties in the Page Actions Toolbar.
- Be sure you have the file checked out (if not, click on the lightbulb icon in the Page Actions Toolbar).
- From the Parameters menu on the left, find the Section Breadcrumb field.
- Enter the desired breadcrumb text.
- Click the Save button.
- The _props.pcf file, index page, and any subpages will need to be published in order for the change to be visible.