You can add a photo to your event by choosing a general Michigan Tech photo from the Library or uploading one of your own. The photos are used in several different places on the calendar, each area using a different size and aspect ratio.
Information about the University Events Calendar (events.mtu.edu).
Calendar Admins can use the Widget Builder to generate a URL to use in a CMS RSS Module or to generate embed code to put the widget on a website.
According to the system vendor, “EventReach is a way to measure the expected ‘reach,’ or audience awareness, an event has.” They have discovered that including certain information in your event listing has a huge impact on increasing awareness and attendance at events. EventReach is the tool they developed to quantify those pieces. This “reach” comes from Google/Search Engine Optimization (SEO), within the Michigan Tech Event Calendar, and through post-event engagement.
If you have identical events that happen on multiple dates and times, but don’t recur exactly every day, week, or month you can still easily add multiple dates. This will only work if all other information, including location is the same.
There are two ways to post events to our Events Calendar:
General Campus Community
- Use the large, gold “Submit an Event” button on the calendar homepage.
- Login to the calendar using the link in the header.
- Once logged in, click the “Calendar Admin” shortcut in the header.
- Click the “Add an Event” button in the Events menu.
- Check the “Publish Immediately” box at the top of the form.
Please note that calendar admins have access to additional fields that do not exist on the public event submission webpage and skip the approval queue.
If you are a calendar admin, please use the event submission form available through your Admin login, as specified above. If you do not have admin access, but often add events for your department, please request access by sending your name, user ID, and department(s) to email@example.com.
Tips for Posting an Event
The following is a step-by-step guide for filling out your event information:
Our new Events Calendar has been a huge success so far, with over 43,000 views in the past month, representing an 85% increase in calendar use compared to last year. We have learned a few things along the way and want to explain a few changes that we have made, along with some best practices, and new features.
Consider the following scenario:
- Career Services adds Career Fair to the calendar
- Many different departments want to put this event on their calendar as it is a very popular event
- Some departments use the Contact Us form to have the event properly added to their own department’s calendar
- Some departments duplicate the event onto their calendar
- We end up with 7 copies of the same event floating around in the system, causing user confusion
- The original event now appears to involve several departments instead of only the originator (in this case, Career Services)
Sounds like a nightmare, doesn’t it? Luckily, we have made some adjustments and have developed some ‘best practices‘ to alleviate this common issue.