There are two ways to post events to our Events Calendar:
General Campus Community
- Use the large, gold “Submit an Event” button on the calendar homepage.
- Login to the calendar using the link in the header.
- Once logged in, click the “Calendar Admin” shortcut in the header.
- Click the “Add an Event” button in the Events menu.
Please note that calendar admins have access to additional fields that do not exist on the public event submission webpage and skip the approval queue.
If you are a calendar admin, please use the event submission form available through your Admin login, as specified above. If you do not have admin access, but often add events for your department, please request access by sending your name, user ID, and department(s) to email@example.com.
Tips for Posting an Event
The following is a step-by-step guide for filling out your event information:
- Name (Required): This is the title of your event. It should be descriptive, but not more than 7 words, if possible.
- Description: Describe what your event is about. Include information about who the event is for, where your event is located, and who is hosting the event in case someone copies your event information. Calendar Admins posting via their Admin login have access to add links and media sources.
- Status: The status should initially be set to “Live” but can later be changed to Canceled, Postponed, or Sold Out, which appends the event name to reflect this new status.
- Start Date (Required): On which day does your event start? There are several ways you can enter a date: Oct 3, Otober 3, 10/3, “Next Friday,” “Tomorrow,” 10/4/19, etc. As you type, the date below the field will update accordingly.
- Start Time: At what time does your event start? You can type as little as 6p or 10a.
- End Time: At what time does your event end? You can type as little as 6p or 10a.
- Repeating: Use if your event is recurring (ie: daily for a week, monthly for the semester, etc).
- Click the “Add Above to Schedule” button to add the date to the event. You can add multiple dates by repeating from the Start Date.
- Experience: Choose either In-Person or Virtual to designate how your event is attended.
- In-Person Events
- Event Place: Enter the venue where your event will take place. As you type your venue, you’ll see campus location options pre-populate. Select your venue from the list, so that you are linked to it unless the event takes place off campus.
- Room: Enter the room number for your event, if applicable.
- Address: This field will appear if you do not link to an Event Place. Adding an address will include a link to Google Maps for directions.
- Virtual Events
- Dial-In Instructions: Provide any information about how to access the virtual event. This text can be formatted.
- Stream URL: Paste in the URL for watching or joining the event. This could be a Zoom URL, Google Meet, etc.
- Stream Embed Code: If the virtual event platform you are using provides code for embedded the livestream, paste in the code.
- In-Person Events
- Photo: You have the option to upload a photo of your choice. You could also “Choose from Photos” to select a generic campus image. Different image sizes are used in different places on the calendar.
- Photo Caption: Enter text that will be used as the caption for the photo.
- Event Type: You can select one or more event types from the dropdown menu. To select multiple types, simply select one, return the the menu and continue selecting others in any order. It is important to select relevant event types to make it easier for users to find your events.
- Target Audience: Select one or more Audiences from the list in any order. Selecting relevant audiences is important to make it easier for users to find your events.
- Groups: UMC only. Please leave this blank. Student Organizations must submit their events through Involvement Link and they will be automatically imported to the Events Calendar nightly.
- Departments: Selecting a Department will automatically add your event to that Department’s calendar. You can select one or more Departments from the list from those you have access to.
- Host: Please indicate who the host of the event is, using free form text. It could be a department, a group, or a person. We recommend the name of the department, when possible.
- Contact Name: Include the name of a specific contact person if desired.
- Contact Email: Include the email for the contact person if desired.
- Contact Phone Number: Include the phone number for the contact person if desired.
- Facebook Event URL: If you have created a Facebook Event for this event, paste the Facebook URL.
- Keywords: These are hidden from users and can be used for common misspellings or custom widget selections.
- Tags: Calendar Admins only. Enter 3-7 keywords related to your event, to make it easier for users to find your event when they search and to group events.
- Hashtag: If a hashtag is associated with your event, such as #mtuwc for Winter Carnival, please enter your hashtag without the “#” symbol.
- Event Website: If you have a webpage or website that explains more about this specific event, enter the URL here.
- Vanity URL: Calendar Admins only. If you would like to advertise your event in print media, you can customize the URL by entering a keyword here.
- Allow User Activity: Calendar Admins only. If you would like to allow comments, reviews, and feedback, leave this checked.
- Allow User Interest: Calendar Admins only. Unchecking this disables the “I’m Interested” and “Invite Friends” functionalities.
- Hide Attendees: Calendar Admins only. Checking this removes the “People Interested” box.
- Exclude from Trending: UMC only. Do not check.
- Visibility: UMC only. Leave set to “Public”.
- Sponsored: UMC only. Do not check.
- Featured: UMC only. Do not change this.
- Tickets & Registration Tab
- Use Localist Register: We have not purchased this module. Leave it unchecked.
- Ticket Cost: If your event requires tickets, please enter the cost. It can be a single dollar amount, a range, or a description such as “Youth: $5, Adults: $20”.
- Registration URL: If users can order tickets online or need to otherwise register for the event, please enter the URL to your ticketing/registration website here.
- Eventbrite ID: If you have created an event in Eventbrite, you can enter the ID here.