There are two ways to post events to our Events Calendar:
General Campus Community
- Use the large, gold “Submit an Event” button on the calendar homepage.
- Login to the calendar using the link in the header.
- Once logged in, click the “Calendar Admin” shortcut in the header.
- Click the “Add an Event” button in the Events menu.
Please note that calendar admins have access to additional fields that do not exist on the public event submission webpage and skip the approval queue.
If you are a calendar admin, please use the event submission form available through your Admin login, as specified above. If you do not have admin access, but often add events for your department, please request access by sending your name, user ID, and department(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for Posting an Event
The following is a step-by-step guide for filling out your event information:
- Name (Required): This is the title of your event. It should be descriptive, but not more than 7 words, if possible.
- Description: Describe what your event is about. Include information about who the event is for, where your event is located, and who is hosting the event in case someone copies your event information. Calendar Admins posting via their Admin login have access to add links and media sources.
- Start Date (Required): On which day does your event start? There are several ways you can enter a date: Oct 3, Otober 3, 10/3, “Next Friday,” “Tomorrow,” 10/4/19, etc. As you type, the date below the field will update accordingly.
- Start Time: At what time does your event start? You can type as little as 6p or 10a.
- End Time: At what time does your event end? You can type as little as 6p or 10a.
- Repeating: Use if your event is recurring (ie: daily for a week, monthly for the semester, etc).
- Click the “Add Above to Schedule” button to add the date to the event. You can add multiple dates by repeating from the Start Date.
- Event Place: Enter the venue where your event will take place. As you type your venue, you’ll see campus location options pre-populate. Select your venue from the list, so that you are linked to it unless the event takes place off campus.
- Room: Enter the room number for your event, if applicable.
- Address: This field will appear if you do not link to an Event Place. Adding an address will include a link to Google Maps for directions.
- Photo: You have the option to upload a square photo of your choice. If you need to edit your image to make it square, you can use an online image editor. You could also “Choose from Photos” to select a generic campus image. Different image sizes are used in different places on the calendar: 185×185 in the listing, 270×270 in the featured events section, and the original image up to 750 px wide will display if the user clicks on the image from the event page.
- Event Type: You can select one or more event types from the dropdown menu. To select multiple types, simply select one, return the the menu and continue selecting others in any order. It is important to select relevant event types to make it easier for users to find your events.
- Target Audience: Select one or more Audiences from the list in any order. Selecting relevant audiences is important to make it easier for users to find your events.
- Department: Selecting a Department will automatically add your event to that Department’s calendar. You can select one or more Departments from the list from those you have access to.
- Group: UMC only. Please leave this blank. Student Organizations must submit their events through Involvement Link and they will be automatically imported to the Events Calendar nightly.
- Host: Please indicate who the host of the event is, using free form text. It could be a department, a group, or a person. We recommend the name of the department, when possible.
- Contact Name: Include the name of a specific contact person if desired.
- Contact Email: Include the email for the contact person if desired.
- Contact Phone Number: Include the phone number for the contact person if desired.
- Ticket Cost: If your event requires tickets, please enter the cost. It can be a single dollar amount, a range, or a description such as “Youth: $5, Adults: $20”.
- Ticket URL: If users can order tickets online, please enter the URL to your ticketing website here.
- Eventbrite ID: If you have created an event in Eventbrite, you can enter the ID here.
- Keywords: These are hidden from users and can be used for common misspellings or custom widget selections.
- Tags: Calendar Admins only. Enter 3-7 keywords related to your event, to make it easier for users to find your event when they search and to group events.
- Twitter Hashtag: If a hashtag is associated with your event, such as #mtuwc for Winter Carnival, please enter your hashtag without the “#” symbol.
- Event Website: If you have a webpage or website that explains more about this specific event, enter the URL here.
- Vanity URL: Calendar Admins only. If you would like to advertise your event in print media, you can customize the URL by entering a keyword here.
- Sponsored: UMC only. Do not check.
- Allow User Feedback: Calendar Admins only. If you would like to allow reviews, leave this checked.
- Allow User Interest: Calendar Admins only. Unchecking this disables the “I’m Interested” and “Invite Friends” functionalities.
- Featured: UMC only. Do not change this.
- Visibility: UMC only. Leave set to “Public”.
- Exclude from Trending: UMC only. Do not check.