Michigan Tech Dining Services uses the following recipe for making Cornish Pasties. What is your recipe or variation that you like? Share in the comments below!
- 4 cups cold all-purpose flour (cold)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces Crisco (cold)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 # raw skirt steak, diced
- 2 cups peeled, diced, red potatoes
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 cups shredded rutabaga
- 2 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons black pepper
- 4 knobs butter
- 1 egg with a little water added, beaten well
1. In a chilled bowl, thoroughly combine flour and salt. Once combined, gently rub the Crisco onto the flower to form large flasks for a flaky crust.
2. Add water and mix until the dough just comes together. Form dough into 4 disks, individually wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until set.
3. To make the pasty filling combine the onion, potatoes, and rutabaga in a bowl. Mix in the salt and pepper.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into 4, 10” disks.
5. Place ¼ of the filling mixture near the top of each 10” pastry round. Top with beef, place a knob of butter on the beef, and then add a pinch of flour and salt and pepper on top.
6. Wet edge of pastry with a little water. Fold to seal. Crimp edges with a tool or fork, brush each pastry with egg wash, and bake 45-50 minutes at 400﮿F.