In late April, we celebrated the success of nearly a thousand graduates at our 2023 Spring Commencement exercises. We are extremely proud of their accomplishments and have every confidence that their future endeavors will reflect well on Michigan Tech.
Today, I would like to call attention to the alumni, faculty, and staff who undoubtedly contribute to the success of our graduates by providing just a few examples of the transformative work happening here on campus.
This past year,
- Michigan Tech’s Army ROTC program and the University were unanimously selected to receive the MacArthur Award for the 2021-22 academic year. Earning the MacArthur Award means we are the No. 1 overall ROTC program and institution among the 42 universities in our Midwest Region.
- Our men’s cross country team had their best finish in the history of the program, placing 10th at the NCAA Division II Cross Country Championships.
- Our men’s hockey head coach, Joe Shawhan, was named the CCHA Coach of the Year, and our Nordic ski team head coach, Tom Monahan Smith, was named CCSA Men’s Coach of the Year and shared the award for CCSA Women’s Coach of the Year.
- President Joe Biden announced a US Department of Energy grant of $8.3 million in funding for Michigan Tech to help developing technology to recycle batteries in his remarks in Bay City, Michigan.
- Our fall 2022 incoming first-year student class was the second-largest in University history and the most academically proficient on record as measured by high school GPA and SAT.
- The fall 2022 Career Fair was the largest in MTU’s history.
- Our research expenditures are up by about 8 percent over 2022’s all-time historic high.
- And finally, last year the Michigan Tech Fund recorded its second-largest fundraising total in University history.
Behind each of these accomplishments are the men and women who drive Michigan Tech forward. They are dedicated, smart, hardworking, and passionate about our students’ success. Thank you for being part of this community and thank you for your continued support.
I hope to see you at Alumni Reunion in August.