You Could Win A FREE 6-Day trip to explore environmental science & engineering majors at Michigan Technological University in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!!!
Monday – Saturday, June 20-25, 2016 (includes free transportation, meals, and lodging)
OPEN to all High School students in Detroit & Wayne County who want to explore environmental science careers: forestry, natural resources, wildlife, engineering, water quality, more!
Up to 20 high school students will be selected to participate. (This will be our 2nd annual trip!)
What YOU will do …
- In the forest: identify and measure trees, and collect frog data;
- On the water: sample aquatic life aboard a research vessel in Lake Superior;
- In the lab: examine plankton, drive a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), and design a process to clean water
- Tour a college campus, stay in a dorm, eat in dining hall;
- Experience national and state parks, wildlife refuges, nature sanctuaries with experts in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula!
Mike Reed, Curator of Education, Detroit Zoological Society
Lisa Perez, U.S. Forest Service ~ Detroit Urban Connections
- Complete online application form 2016 Michigan Tech-Upper Peninsula Trip Application
- Write 500-word essay describing what you hope to gain from this experience;
- Mail or email 2 letters of recommendation (both from non-family members; one from a teacher) to:
1400 Townsend Dr.
Houghton, MI 49931
A selection team of teachers, university faculty, and resource specialists will review applications and announce winners by March 18th. A mandatory Parent Meeting and Student Outing will be scheduled in April & May.
Mike Reed, Detroit Zoo
Cell: (313) 595-9729
Office: (906) 487-3341